• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD - Extras

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

haroon158

Registered
Ok so I have a question about what extras I need apart from a bracket.
I will be using my other 1tb hard drive like what extra wires would I need?
Like RAIDing and stuff is that like wiring lol?

Hi Haroon,

You'll only need a SATA cable and SATA power.
RAID is a type of joining disks to increase speed, size or both - but is 100% NOT advised between SSD and a normal HDD as SSD speeds are already lightning fast.

This setup will give you a C Drive and a D Drive (Presuming windows) and then whatever your DVD Drive is set to (Normally E Drive in this setup)

If you plan to reinstall windows there are a few extra steps you need to do but NONE of them require more hardware than the bracket, power and SATA data cable.

Thanks , I think ill need to purchase an extra SATA cable then as my motherboard comes with only 2 i think.

If you have two drives, you have two SATA cables already, no? The power leads come from your PSU.

If you have two drives, you have two SATA cables already, no? The power leads come from your PSU.

I thought the hard drives were just bare component with no wires? But I will have 3 drives. 1 SSD 1 HD 1 dvd drive and I think i only have 2 with my mobo

They are.. just saying you have two wires, you are good. BUT now you mention the optical drive, so I guess you are short if your mobo didnt include more than two sata wires.

Back