• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Restore-OFF for SSD with OS ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

Just curious- I've seen people suggest turning off Windows system restore with a SSD that has the OS installed. My reading indicates it's for saving space.

However, if you disable it, what are people doing/using instead of Windows System Restore in case they have a crash or something ?

Thanks in advance.

I've never had to use it on my own system, so my answer is "I don't".

If the system is that messed up, reinstall.

I've never had to use it on my own system, so my answer is "I don't".

If the system is that messed up, reinstall.

Haha, good point, thanks.

Does turning OFF system restore prevent one from using Windows 7 as a backup/incremental backup solution? I don't know if in Win7 System Restore is separate from a backup utility or not.

Curious, what do most people load onto their SSDs? It seems many put all their programs on a HDD, and just the OS on a SSD?

I do the full OS install to it and only move off very large files.

Disabling system restore has nothing to do with other backup programs.

I do the full OS install to it and only move off very large files.

Disabling system restore has nothing to do with other backup programs.

I'm sorry I didn't mean other 3rd party programs for backups. I meant in Win7 is System Restore the backup utility. Someone told me they use Win7 for incremental backups (instead of Ghost or Acronis), but I don't know if they do this through Win7 System Restore..OR another MS utility in the OS.

Sorry for the confusion.

I've never used the built in backup for Windows, so I couldn't answer.

That's OK..thanks- I haven't either, but Ghost is like 70 dollars, and the new version of Acronis I heard was quite problematic. SO I was wondering if Win7 had anything. Hm..I wonder if I keep system restore on, but put the data onto my HDD instead?

Plus... I don't think turning off System Restore has any impact on the Win7 Backup software.

I think the main reason why it is recommended that it (system restore) be disabled, is a space-saving thing... it can tie up quite a bit of room on what is (essentially) a small drive.

edit... I use Shadow Protect btw (but historically, have also found Acronis to be excellent)... In my most recent migration from a Vertex3 to the Revo3, nothing would get me imaged and restored from old to new except the Win7 Backup software.

Back