• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Can I add another MSI HD5450 card in crossfire to enable 3 displays?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo668

Hi.

I have a MSI R5450 Series Graphic Card with 1GB of VRAM. I can't say what the exact model is without opening up my computer which is in a corner under my desk. But I think it is the R5450-MD1GD3H/LP.

I just want to add a 3rd monitor so I can display stock prices on my 32" LCD TV which is connected by HDMI. I also have 2 monitors connected via VGA and DVI. I'm not a gamer and the 3 displays are only for work purposes.

I know my graphic card can only display 2 monitors/tv at the same time. Can I add another MSI HD5450 card in crossfire to enable 3 displays? I asked MSI Technical Support and they replied that my card does not support Crossfire. But on their Product Page it says: "CrossFire Support: Y (SW)". What does "SW" mean? I also read reviews by Guru3D and Tom's Hardware and they pointed out that the HD5450 can be crossfired.

If the MSI HD5450 card that I have cannot be crossfired than I also have a Sapphire HD4350 card with 512MB VRAM. I checked the AMD site and it says that the HD4350 can be crossfired.

I'm not choosy. I just want to be able to use 3 displays together. Maybe I should get a new graphic card altogether? What do you guys think?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I've solved this.

Decided to experiment a bit and so plugged the HD4350 into the 2nd PCI-e slot. Connected the display with the VGA plug to this and left the TV (HDMI) and the main monitor (DVI) plugged to the HD5450. Booted the computer and went into Windows Display Manager. I had to enable the display with the VGA plug and Extend Desktop to it. Now I had 3 displays working. I then opened the AMD VISION Engine Control Center and found that Eyefinity could see and work with these 3 displays.

I think I got what I wanted. Didn't have to Crossfire.

Back