• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A friend is struggling to boot with new cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badbonji

Ok so a friend of mine has recently bought two new cards (MSI GTX 670 OC edition).

He recieved them and put them in the following build:

- Intel i7 930
- Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
- OCZ 6GB RAM 1600Mhz
- XFX 850watt PSU

He tried both seperately and together and the pc would not post with a video card beep error code. So he tries them individually in my desktop (top line of signature) and they work fine. He came from two GTX 460s and they worked fine.

What's more, he just bought a i7 3770k with a sabertooth mobo and the same issue occurs with one card in. He then tried my GTX 680 and it works fine with no issue.

So I am thinking the only thing it can be is the PSU, yet it powers two GTX 460s but has a problem with one GTX 670, and not a GTX 680? I am stumped, so any advice will be very helpful!

everything works on yours .. and yours works on his .. but no go for his own stuff :D hehehe

you didnt feel like taking your psu out for him ?

bios updates ? ehhhhh hmmmm

Yeah I will be testing my PSU in his machine today or tomorrow, although I can't see how it can't power a GTX 670 when two GTX 460s work fine and consume on the order of twice as much as it?

Update: I tested my PSU in his rig and it works fine, but as mentioned in another thread about my desktop it does not work in mine, as well as his old desktop!

So my PSU only works in his new computer, and his PSU only works in his old computer (power requirements of the same order; i7 3770k and two GTX 670s vs i7 930 and two GTX460s).

you guys need to sit back and trouble shoot with a multimeter, Just make sure you go by a color diagram.

Back