• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop liquid spill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lionol

Greetings all. Have a lenovo v570 laptop that I spilled beer on the keyboard. Took keyboard apart and inspected the inside of the machine for liquid. No liquid appeared to come into contact with any components, or the keyboard connection inside the unit. Computer works fine but a number of keys do not function anymore. Using an external keyboard currently and it works fine. I ordered a replacement keyboard and my question is this: will replacing the keyboard rectify the situation?

howdy its hard to tell without looking at the 'damage'

1) Since u've ordered the KB then change it and try.

2) If the situation remains the same, you need to get that lappy inspected. Try to find an honest repair shop. I know thats hard in some places, so stick around if possible while they check the lappy, best if its in your view.

3) Sometimes the will be no signs of 'damage' early on. The lappy may function properly for a while. Then weeks or mths later it may start acting up. Time for point 2 then.

4) If there arent any trusted repair shops in your area, then you may choose to send it back to the manufacturer i.e. the brand of the lappy for inspection / repairs, if point 3 happens.
This is generally more expensive. But you know its in the hands of a reputable company with a certain amount of recourse in after situations.

more than likely it will fix the issue getting a new keyboard for it probably just got in and shorted on the pcb in the back of the keyboard

thanks for responses. Hoping new keyboard fixes it as taking to a shop will probably not be feasible cost wise...unit new was only like 550bucks. I only bought it 5 monthes ago tho and was not looking to replace it for some time. Will post my findings when new keyboard arrives early next week. Interestingly, liquid seemed to drain out of the bottom of the machine. I discovered a small pool of liquid under the machine sometime after the spill, did a little bit of internet searching on the topic and apparently its a design feature of this laptop. Quoted from another site "Starting with the immediate successor to the T43, the T60, Lenovo added actual drain holes to the chassis of their laptops, and redesigned the keyboard assembly so that it had a slight rim all the way around it. So in theory, if you spill something into it, the rim will keep the liquid from spilling past the keyboard and into the guts, and the drain holes will channel the liquid through and out the bottom."

I spilt water/drinks on laptops a lot of times and I never broke a motherboard with it, however it always ended up in keyboard working weirdly and annoying or some keys not responding, so I had to purchase a new one. No fear about the MB, but you have to buy a new keyboard.

when i had some spillage i just put the keyboard in the washing machine and dried it out on a radiator for 3 days. that was 2 years ago , and it still works pefectly :D PS: it`s an acer

Back