• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(Water) Cooling without paste?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schattengestalt

Hey there,

I have a mad project in my mind, which is basically a laptop cooling solution.
Now, soldering some pipes and mounting them to a water cooling tower would be simple, but not portable. Placing a big fan (or better a turbine) below would probably help, but I don't want my laptop to fly away while gaming.

I use my laptop in a lot of distinct places, so it needs to remain portable. Also, as I just want to use the additional (water) cooling setup for short periods of time, thermal paste or pads wouldn't work out. Thermal paste would dry out pretty fast and I read that you can't use thermal pads multiple times. That leads me to a question:
Are there different cooling solutions which could probably work with plug & play?

What I am working with:
Clevo P775DM3-G
GTX 1080 (+50MHz @925mV)
Intel i7 7700K (-150mV, standard clock/turbo speed)
4K display, Ram, SSDs, HDDs, Windows, etc.

Cooling one component works out fine, but I found out that the heatpipes are connected together. That means, that if both CPU and GPU are stressed, I get huge thermal issues even leading to bluescreens (standard clock speeds/undervolted).
Setting the fans to maximum speed (FN+1) would keep the temperatures on a reasonable level, but would very loud and (at permanent use) not particularly good for the fan bearings. That leads me to external cool

I thought of a relatively big copper plate soldered to the internal heatpipes making contact with another copper plate. The other plate would be connected to a water or air cooled cooler which would provide a much bigger surface area than the small meshes inside the laptop. The plates would be held together by clips or maybe magnets (there are magnets resistant to heat up to 160°C), but that would be a question I would ask myself later.

The biggest question is if there is any cooling solution which would work out just by contacting two metals (or a solid filler).

Do you guys have any ideas what I could use for this project in order to mount and dismount it easily?

If you're wanting to make something completely custom, figure a way to make a copper plate that covers the area you want to cool then add a water block to it with quick disconnect water fittings. That way you can mount the radiator, pump, and reservoir in an external enclosure and disconnect it when you want to travel and leave just the water block attached to the computer.
Seems waaaaay more complex than anything I'd want to do, but if you're wanting to make a mobile watercooling system then that's the way I'd do it personally.

If you're wanting to make something completely custom, figure a way to make a copper plate that covers the area you want to cool then add a water block to it with quick disconnect water fittings. That way you can mount the radiator, pump, and reservoir in an external enclosure and disconnect it when you want to travel and leave just the water block attached to the computer.
Seems waaaaay more complex than anything I'd want to do, but if you're wanting to make a mobile watercooling system then that's the way I'd do it personally.

I've seen such a setup before (and there is a laptop around with exactly the same idea), but my fear is way too big that the system will eventually leak or a drop of water goes to a place where it shouldn't go. And that doesn't even involve a shock when being transported in a car or something.
So water in the laptop isn't a solution, although it may be the best one. I need something that can't damage the laptop if something goes wrong, that's also the reason why I won't remove the stock cooling but extend it.

Maybe there is a cooling paste which stays liquid? I'd need to make a cover for it but that could work out. Other ideas with no mess involved would be appreciated though.

Back