• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AsRock z77 Extreme 4 worries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Droogie

Registered
I found a good deal on one of these boards, but I have a concern.

How sturdy is this board? I know it's shorter than a standard ATX, but bigger than a matx. I'm just worried about flex at the bottom if it doesn't line up with the standoffs.

BTW. First post on OCF. :) I'm a regular on OCN, and I'm broadening my horizons.

I have the extreme6 and really like the board. the 4 should be the same with just a few less frills from what I understand. you will like it, I have no issues with the board being rigid

I'm just worried about it being 1" shorter than a regular ATX board is all. I don't think the standoffs at the bottom will work. Probably not a big deal if I don't have a video card there or anything, though.

I used the Asrock Z77 Extreme4, and didn't have any issues with the boards length. As I recall, all the standoff's lined up fine.

Thanks. I have a 3570k without a board right now. Debating what to go with. I've got my eye on a few z68 gen3 and z77 boards. Kinda lost, lol. I'm after something that will make OC'ing easy for me, as I'm still pretty much a newb to it.

Look through General Chat and see what is being recommended... Asrock Z77 Extreme4 is one if not THE most suggested board for new builders.

The Extreme4 Z77 board works great for me. My setup was a new build so I had to put the standoffs in the case, but I didn't think the board was shorter than normal or anything. I was considering a much more expensive board but one of the members here, Knufire, suggested otherwise so I saved some money.

Good luck with it, you won't be disappointed, I know I'm not.

It is a bit shorter than a normal ATX board. However, it still fits just fine in my case and I haven't noticed physical stress on the board itself

Well, I found a p8z68-v/gen3 for the same price. It looks like an overall better board. It's basically down to these 2 now.

I'm upgrading from an i7 930 that I had running 4.0 GHz. I just wanted to go to IB for native sata, as I hate the Marvell controller. Lower power consumption is always nice, too.

I have the Extreme 4 and no problems with stand off's lining up. The PCB seems a little thinner than past boards but I have a hyper 212 Evo bolted to it and no issues at all with weight etc. Length no issue :thup:

Well, I found a p8z68-v/gen3 for the same price. It looks like an overall better board. It's basically down to these 2 now.
Double check that your Ivy Bridge is compatible with the current BIOS on the board. If you need to update BIOS you'll have to most likely install a Sandy Bridge processor to do the update.

-Rodger

I just finished my first build ever. I have the Extreme 4 due to popular recommendation. When I installed the stand offs in my case for an ATX config it didn't work for me. I had to take like the far right ones out and move one the the left and leave the other 2 out if I remember right. I did it just last week. So I believe my case was calling for 9 stand offs and I used 7. But it really wasn't an issue. I was told a few times to check my stand offs because lots of rookies mess that up, and I a rookie but I got it done. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I decided on the P8Z68-V. It should be here next Monday as I can't get it until Thursday. Buying it from OCN. He just updated the BIOS for me.

Hoping I can get it to clock well under my H100. :)

Well. Tomorrow is zero hour. Still debating that P8Z68-V/gen3 or going down to CompUSA and grabbing a z77 board. That will cost me a lot more, but I won't have to wait for shipping.

Back