• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help With First Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gibselite

Registered
Hey Everyone,

I am beginning to spec out my first build of a desktop computer and am looking for help from those experienced. My primary focus for this system is gaming (World of Warcraft, World of Tanks, Call of Duty, etc.).

One of the issues I am running into is selecting the OS. I am tired of Windows and I am not looking to run OSX. I want to run Linux but some of the games I want to play do are not supported by that OS.

Question 1: Is it possible for me to run dual OS (Linux & Windows), and if so, is there anything I need to be concerned with when selecting hardware?

I haven't really selected anything in regards to hardware besides the case. I've selected the NZXT Phantom case because it has a large amount of space, options, cable management, and of course, it's a good looking case.

I've considered, and researched, what I prefer for hardware.
MoBo: Intel based (not looking to OC atm)
CPU: Intel i5 family
GPU: not sure what kind exactly but SLI/Crossfire X ready as I will want to run multiple (3+) screens.
RAM: Im looking at running 8GB RAM
SSD: Not large capacity (budget reasons)
HDD: Not a big concern for me atm
PSU: will select based on power requirements but looking at 80+ certified

If I missed anything I'm sure you guys will let me know.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Hey Everyone,

I am beginning to spec out my first build of a desktop computer and am looking for help from those experienced. My primary focus for this system is gaming (World of Warcraft, World of Tanks, Call of Duty, etc.).

One of the issues I am running into is selecting the OS. I am tired of Windows and I am not looking to run OSX. I want to run Linux but some of the games I want to play do are not supported by that OS.

Question 1: Is it possible for me to run dual OS (Linux & Windows), and if so, is there anything I need to be concerned with when selecting hardware?

I haven't really selected anything in regards to hardware besides the case. I've selected the NZXT Phantom case because it has a large amount of space, options, cable management, and of course, it's a good looking case.

GPU: not sure what kind exactly but SLI/Crossfire X ready as I will want to run multiple (3+) screens.

Hi!

I'm glad you came and asked before building. This community is GREAT for answering questions.

Yes, you can dual-boot Windows and Linux. Basically what you have to do is install Windows, and when that's totally set up (drivers, network, etc.) then you can install Linux from a disk and set a partition on the hard drive for it to run on. Then you will select what OS to go into every time you turn on your computer. You will want a sizeable SSD if that's what you'll be booting off of, so I recommend 128GB and up. OCZ Vertex is a great series to look at. Windows will take up all but about 90-100 GB of that, and Linux should run on at least a 20GB partition. Essentially if you plan on dual booting, I'd recommend a 256GB ssd. Might hurt to buy it now, but it will pay off in the long run.

Processor-wise, the i5 is a great way to go. Check out the 3570k. Great processor. 8GB of ram should be good for what you need. I have a build similar to what you're planning on, the specs are in my signature. Not world-class performance, but it works for me and I love it. Total with a monitor, etc is cost me about $850.

Good luck!

Hey Everyone,

I also noticed you're in Wisconsin, too. I'm in Janesville. Cool!

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Do you want to overclock in the future? Just incase I would purchase overclocking components.:cool::popcorn:

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

I'm planning on using this computer for gaming (World of Warcraft and similar), 3d modeling (Mechanical Design), and some video and audio editing.

My budget is approximately $950 including a monitor and no other peripherals.

I am located in the U.S. and planning to purchase from the U.S. and from newegg.com.

I would like to dual boot with linux and windows. The only specific thing I want with this build is a clean looking case with good cable management and cooling. For that I was looking at the NZXT Phantom.

I do not plan on overclocking this system. If I ever decide to overclock I would do a rebuild.
I would prefer this build to be somewhat quiet.

I would like to put some money in it now and let it rest (probably 2-3 years) until better performance is needed or my budget opens up some and then continuous upgrading.

I am interested in utilizing the SLI/Crossfire X in the future so getting a compatible motherboard is important. However I would like a decent graphics card as a starter that is capable of meeting my usage needs.

I appreciate all the help!

Hey Guys,

I've been busy lately, but I'm still looking for help on this build. I haven't really been given any direction yet.

Please post any and all comments or questions you have for me. Thanks.

Less than an hour bump?

B75 based board.
2x4gb ddr3 1600

Whatever is left, monitor.

If you want a board that supports CFX/SLI...ends up being the same board that's good for overclocking. In that case, it'll only cost like $25 more on the CPU to get an overclockable one. IMO, you could either not go SLI/CFX or OCing and save money on the initial setup, or spend the little bit extra over just SLI/CFX for OCing.

If you want a board that supports CFX/SLI...ends up being the same board that's good for overclocking. In that case, it'll only cost like $25 more on the CPU to get an overclockable one. IMO, you could either not go SLI/CFX or OCing and save money on the initial setup, or spend the little bit extra over just SLI/CFX for OCing.

Knufire, I am definitely open to spending a little more up front to run SLI/CFX and OC. Do you have any recommendations for MB and CPU pairings?

My recommendation.

The way I see it you can go two directions here on your budget and you will just have to decide if one is more important to you. I'm sure you can put together something that almost nearly satisfies both directions, but specializing in one direction would let us help you better

Direction 1 (gaming): For this build I would recommend a decent mid level CPU i5 2500k or i5 3570k and any Newegg motherboard (maybe $150 max) that supports SLI. Then I would spend the remainder of that money on one really good video card (amazon.com nvidia GTX 480) or any nvidia GTX 570+ and run it in single slot until you can afford to get another one (just wait a year and get a used one) a 128mb SSD will be the minimum for dual boot

Direction 2: (workhorse) Get an i7 2600k / i7 3770k / anything that is ivy bridge or i7, (DO NOT GET an amazon i7 920, it won't fit any motherboards anymore). Get a good Z77 series board with on header USB 3.0. Spend less money on the video card and get a ATI 7770 (around $100). For the workhorse you're going to need more storage for editing files and such. Get a good Samsung 1TB spindle drive and, again a 128MB SSD. Crucial makes a decent 128mb SSD drive and their warranties are generally longer than OZC, kingston, others.

Personally, I would get the workhorse because it will benefit you in editing files and WOW is not a graphically demanding game per-se to warrant getting a $300 plus video card. But playing games like BF3 or Max Payne 3 on the workhorse you won't be maxing the settings out all the way. The other benefit of getting the workhorse is basic simplicity i.e. upgrading a video card down the line is simple in direction 2, where changing motherboard+cpu down the line in direction 1 would be more work and might even require a new Windows license.

Oh and for quiet builds - lots of fans in vertical position on medium settings

As close as I could get to budget.

CAD is graphics heavy, and Linux (from what I understand) generally has less issues with NVIDIA compared to AMD. Plus CUDA (NVIDIA propitiatory acceleration engine) is still more popular in software than OpenGL/CL (open source standards that support both brands).

Capture.PNG
1.PNG

hey, if you wanted to save some money on any of this build, I would say get the CPU somewhere else. Newegg never has amazing sales on the CPU's. I would just get a 2500k from a different website or get a used one from these forums. I bet you could get one for 140$ from another member and it would free up some budget for you. Everything else looks good man, discounts are amazing.

New users, such as yourself, are unable to access the classifieds here until 100 posts and ISP/MIL/EDU type email.

If the OP has a microcenter around him he can find bangin deals on Z77 boards and 370k/3770k cpu.

Knufire, I am definitely open to spending a little more up front to run SLI/CFX and OC. Do you have any recommendations for MB and CPU pairings?

Just throwing this out there, to lazy to read to the bottom of the thread. I just bought the Asrock z77 extreme 4 Mobo/ I-5 3570k combo and my whole build ended up about $1k. I havent built it yet, still waiting on parts. But after hours of research I think its a nice build.If you would like I can spec it out for you.

Last edited:
I would spend the extra 50$ for a bigger SSD, 60GB is only going to give you enough room for OS+AutoCAD or OS+WOW. and WOW is heavily affected by SSD speed loading many players in quickly on screen

Check out this SSD: It's on sale, double the size and only 11% of customers reporting problems with the drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

Except it'll put it over budget, so there isn't much you can do. I have 7+Office+Chrome on a SSD and am only using about 25GB.

Just throwing this out there, to lazy to read to the bottom of the thread. I just bought the Asrock z77 extreme 4 Mobo/ I-5 3570k combo and my whole build ended up about $1k. I havent built it yet, still waiting on parts. But after hours of research I think its a nice build.If you would like I can spec it out for you.

huntinman13, I see you chose the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 for your mobo. I probably don't need the Extreme 4 but what is the difference between the 3 and the 4 that made you choose the 4?

Also, I would appreciate seeing your build spec.

Back