• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help With First Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
huntinman13, I see you chose the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 for your mobo. I probably don't need the Extreme 4 but what is the difference between the 3 and the 4 that made you choose the 4?

Also, I would appreciate seeing your build spec.
The main reason I chose the 4 was because Knufire recommended it lol, and I will spec out the build in the morning when I can get to a computer. I'm on a phone.

I've been doing some research based on everyone's suggestions so far and I think I can check some components off my list (granted there aren't any compatibility issues). I'm sure you guys will let me know if there are.

Case: NZXT Phantom
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 3 (From Knufire's screenshots)
CPU: i5-3570K w/ Cooler Master CPU cooler(shown in screenshots as well)

I know it will be a little more than my stated budget, selecting the NZXT Phantom case, which is why I set it lower than it really is. I know I could have put the extra money I'm spending on the case on something performance based but I'm planning on keeping and upgrading this rig for many years so I wanted a case that I liked looking at.

To continue tentative parts are as follows:
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu Red series 8GB (Screenshots)
GPU: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 2GB (Screenshots)

I'll probably end up going with a 128GB SSD and I'm not very concerned about the size or brand of HDD. So as far as finishing the box, I need to select a PSU. Any advice on how to select a good PSU and how to determine the right size (power output) for my setup?

Also, any comments on the components I've decided to commit to or am tentative on are definitely welcome. I'd like to see what you guys think of them and why you would or wouldn't choose them for your own setup.

Thanks again

Hey I'm posting this on my brand new just finished gaming rig, The parts are as follows.
I-5 3570k with stock cooler(deff. get an aftermarket it gets hot when OCing)
Asrock z77 Extreme 4 Motherboard (nice features but you will need more Sata cables)
Rosewill Challenger case( Nice, comes with 3 Fans, And 1 is Blue LED)
OCZ 120gb SSD( really quick, Loads windows befor the bubbles can center in the screen)
1tb Seagate 7200 rpm( cant hook that up yet, Need more sata cables)
His Radeon 7850 2gb( Haven't tested it yet but it comes with a nice OCing app)
G Skill Ripsaw 2x4gb( running like champs)
630w Rosewill PSU( I would try a diff psu, Way to many cables with this one)
Windows Rating 7.6(Out of 7.9)
I am in love already and just wanted to thank everyone that helped me with picking out the parts!

Phantom is a great case no doubt, but it is pretty big. If you want something smaller, you could go with the Phantom 410. I just barely squeezed in dual 7970s and a TRUE Spirit 140, to give you an idea of how much room there is.

Hey I'm posting this on my brand new just finished gaming rig, The parts are as follows.
I-5 3570k with stock cooler(deff. get an aftermarket it gets hot when OCing)
Asrock z77 Extreme 4 Motherboard (nice features but you will need more Sata cables)
Rosewill Challenger case( Nice, comes with 3 Fans, And 1 is Blue LED)
OCZ 120gb SSD( really quick, Loads windows befor the bubbles can center in the screen)
1tb Seagate 7200 rpm( cant hook that up yet, Need more sata cables)
His Radeon 7850 2gb( Haven't tested it yet but it comes with a nice OCing app)
G Skill Ripsaw 2x4gb( running like champs)
630w Rosewill PSU( I would try a diff psu, Way to many cables with this one)
Windows Rating 7.6(Out of 7.9)
I am in love already and just wanted to thank everyone that helped me with picking out the parts!

Looks like a nice setup for what you spent on it. Let me know how the OC'ing on the GPU goes. As you can see I'm trying to build a pretty similar rig.

well, Since I'm pretty new at OCing I would take this with a grain of salt but when I OCed the gpu to 1000mhz it ran fine and the temp was good but then I got this white screen, so I set it back to defaults and its running fine. I prob just screwed up a setting though so we will see how it goes. I did screw up a OC lol, Overclocked the Memory way to high:(

Last edited:
Phantom is a great case no doubt, but it is pretty big. If you want something smaller, you could go with the Phantom 410. I just barely squeezed in dual 7970s and a TRUE Spirit 140, to give you an idea of how much room there is.

I looked up the Phantom and Phantom 410 and while the 410 is smaller and has USB 3.0 built in, NZXT has a holiday special for a Phantom case bundled with a PSU. I don't know if their PSU's are any good (please let me know). If they are does that look like a pretty decent deal?

Link to the deal?

AFAIK NZXT doesn't have a bad PSU out...their older ones were GREAT, their newer ones are decent. None are bad by a long shot.

I've got the GPU overclocked to 1.1ghz right now running Far Cry 3 highest settings at about 58c and 40-60 fps. I love this setup!

I've got the GPU overclocked to 1.1ghz right now running Far Cry 3 highest settings at about 58c and 40-60 fps. I love this setup!

That's good to hear. My current setup, a laptop, gets me an average of 12-15 fps on WoW's lowest video settings. Most of the time I'm running less than that.

That's nice, guess you can discuss gaming benchmarks in the gaming forum since you have done all you need in this sub-forum.

Good for you!

The last few posts may not seem hardware related to you, but since I'm looking to build a system similar to his it's nice to get a first hand account on how it will perform graphically. I'm extremely new to building my own computer so I rely on others advice and first hand experience to help select the components for a system I'll be happy with.

The last few posts may not seem hardware related to you, but since I'm looking to build a system similar to his it's nice to get a first hand account on how it will perform graphically. I'm extremely new to building my own computer so I rely on others advice and first hand experience to help select the components for a system I'll be happy with.

Just to let you know I just came back to pc from Xbox and have very little experience with Computers and it took me about 2 hours to build. Just let me know if you want any more info:)

Thanks for posting that link. It helped me understand quite a bit about PSU's. Although the PSU comes bundled with the Case, I don't feel very confident with the PSU. I like to go for components that someone would recommend, which it doesn't sound like it's recommended. From the link, it sounds like there are better alternatives out there for an equivalent PSU.

Is there a power range I should be looking at, as well as 80+ certification level that would be a good choice for my build?

Recommendations are also welcome.

I already posted a full recommendation...

Just to make sure, the Corsair psu you recommended with the Corsair case is compatible with the NZXT Phantom and Phantom 410 cases?

Also, I'm just curious about this, but why did you recommend the Kingston 8GB kit vs. the G.Skill? I see a lot of reviews on newegg for the G.Skill compared to Kingston.

Back