• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling for I7 920 and (2) 7970s < Preferably one loop>

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dsmwookie

Registered
currently have my i7 920 overclocked to 4.0ghz @ 1.28volts

HAF 922 case (think thats right, check my sig)

My 7970 is running at stock and my ambient temperatures are generally 20 degrees Celsius in the house.

I ve read the waterloop guide and several reviews on the "round-ups" of gpu/cpu blocks. When it all comes down to it 1-3 degrees difference is not a deal breaker for me. Functionality, installation, maintenance, cost, and aesthetics all play a role. For this reason I ve narrowed it down to a few choices and I really want suggestions on those or if you have something that is outstanding Ill gladly entertain that. Here are my CPU choices:

Apogee Drive 2 $144.99
LL

Apogee HD $69.99
LL

Koolance 380 $76.99
LL

XSPC Raystorm $62.99
LL

I am currently leaning on the AD2 due to it simplifying my loop, saving some cash on a pump, and it just seems cool to me. After that the Koolance seems to be the best performer and quite affordable. Quickly followed up by a nifty XSPC which has a great bang for the buck, slightly less performance, and a nifty LED. All in all though I would say the AD 2 and Koolance are my real contenders.

As far as my GPU blocks I ve narrowed that down to two products the heatkiller and swiftech komodo.

[
LL

LL

I lean towards the Swiftech block so that it all matches and I enjoy the overall cleanliness of the look, but I ve heard the GPU block is a bit restrictive. After that it seems the Heatkiller block is the best performer, but I m open to some reviews I may have missed.

As it currently sits I only have one 7970 and I will add the second into the loop in a couple months. I d like to just get the system underwater and get my feet wet before grabbing a second GPU and really going all out.

I would also be welcome to radiator suggestions for this style setup. Lastly, if the AD2 is not a winner, something along the lines of this was a heavy option. It is very clean, multi functional, and just seemed cool. Thanks in advance guys!
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...umps_in_525_Bay_-_Black.html?tl=g30c107#blank

LL

I like this one.

Apogee Drive 2 $144.99

That Koolance thing is wayyyy overpriced and not popular at all for many reasons.

Koolance does make GPU blocks too, they are good.

While I'm sure the Apogee Drive 2 is a great product, personally I would go with a separate pump. Apogee drive is mostly intended for small cases where you don't have much room for mounting pump, with your case that shouldn't be an issue. The price of a separate pump is not much more and it will cost you less down the road when the pump burns out or if you want to upgrade you don't have to replace both block and pump.

Also having a separate pump is just easier in terms of filling/draining/bleeding air out of the system, with the apogee drive your pump position is fixed which makes it harder to design a loop thats easy to maintain. I'd rec either MCP35x or a DDC with an aftermarket top.

Any of those cpu blocks are good choices. I have apogee HD in one system and xspc raystorm in another, both are very good.. IMHO the raystorm looks cooler but the apogee HD has a better mounting system.

I'd go with the heatkiller GPU block

Back