• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD-rom drive mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fingolfin

Does anyone have some advice about moding a cd-rom drive front. I have a gold Lian-li and I don't like the way my drive fronts look. Suggestions?

Thanks

Masking tape off where you don't want the paint to go and then just spray paint it the color you want it. Should work good luck.

BTW: This should be in the Alternative Modding Section

Sony said:
BTW: This should be in the Alternative Modding Section

Indeed it should... and will be...lol.

Welcome to the Forums, Fingolfin. I'm gonna move this post for you. In future, I ask that you take a moment an put posts into their proper topic. You'll get a lot more help, and quicker, if you do.

Hope you enjoy the place, and stick around!

Cheers!

Mr B
Forums Moderator

You can also consider vinyl dye. I would recommend taking the bezel off the CD first, and popping off the buttons and plastic LED lens before you do anything.

i saw a much cleaner mod on a cddrive b4 cant remember the details and it will be a bit more complex then painting but he took of the cd bezel and attached the drive to the original case bezel not shure how he worked out the butten issue but it was very cool could not even tell there was a drive there

so when the drive opened it pushed the hole original case slot bezel out

very sleek and kool

maby u could mod it a lil more and put the eject butten somware else?:D

stool said:
You can also consider vinyl dye. I would recommend taking the bezel off the CD first, and popping off the buttons and plastic LED lens before you do anything.

I've never heard of this before. What is "vinyl dye"?

natopotato said:
i saw a much cleaner mod on a cddrive b4 cant remember the details and it will be a bit more complex then painting but he took of the cd bezel and attached the drive to the original case bezel not shure how he worked out the butten issue but it was very cool could not even tell there was a drive there

so when the drive opened it pushed the hole original case slot bezel out

very sleek and kool

maby u could mod it a lil more and put the eject butten somware else?:D

I remember that. He mounted the CD-ROM back about 5mm farther than it should be, and glued the normal bay cover to the CD-ROM's tray.

vinyl dye is what the name says...it is in a regular spraypaint can, but it is especially for plastics...instead of just adhering to the surface, AFAIK the dye actually bonds with the plastic, so it doesnt chip easily (or at all)...its a much easier alternative to spraypaint, considering it does very well with raised letters and leaves the drive looking like it came that way...

-peter

Last edited:
i think mine is stealthed. only one of my CD drives is stealthed.
the top one is the CDRW, the bottom is the CD 56x

i used double sided tape, hot glue, and a sanded lego.
ill do the both and post pics in a couple days.

I want to spray my cdr's /floppy metallic
it seems like a good idea to remove the bezel and tray before spraying metallic paint on electronics but is this necessary and how do i get the plastic parts off?

thanks

when you pull the ROM drive out there should be little
clamps from the plastic front's onto the metal part.

just push in the clamps with a screwdriver or something
then just pull them off.

Back