• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Offline time wasters (games)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I have 4-5 hours between classes every day and need to kill some time, can anyone suggest free or cheap games to kill some time? I'm gonna get bejeweled for $3 Would like something else to do

Steam Sales that come around have some pretty entertaining games for $5-10 for decent games... and even a little more you can get your hands on some pretty quality stuff.

Defense Grid has wasted many hours for me. I got it on a steam sale for $5, next sale I bought a few more copies to gift.

That's the second most played game on my Steam account behind Skyrim. I think I paid $2 for the base game on sale and got most of the DLC or maybe $1 each (paid the full 5 for the last one and it went on sale like 2 days later:mad:) using my game value formula of hoping for 1hr of gameplay per dollar spent to be happy Id say it's a winner as by my calculations I'm at $0.07 per hour on it lol.

don't I need to get online to play a steam game even if theres no online play?

What about studying?

That's a good idea but my classes are a joke, i'm in an HVAC program but I've been working in the field for 8 years.

My teacher doesn't really teach, class is usually 20-30 minutes long with the rare occasion of an hour. Classes are scheduled for 3hr 45min. Kind of annoying when it takes me 10 hours from the time I leave to the time I get home for class (down town) and it consists of 45 minutes of actual "learning". Sometimes nothing at all.

But yeah your right, his tests are 100% from the book so he doesn't ever really have to teach us anything so I do need to read a chapter for each class each month (2 classes). So I will have something to keep me buisy but not 5 hours a day 4 days a week.

Sim City 4?

But if that's not your thing I highly recommend....
The old Carmageddon games, I prefer 2. It's a light hearted racing game where you can choose to do the race, wreck all of your opponents(as if you'd do anything else), or find and run over every pedestrian to win(they do tend to fly apart on impact).
But as an older game it's not taking things seriously so it's an excellent time killer. As in a game where power ups are...low gravity, a spring that throws your car in the air, a spring that throws nearby opponents around and nitrous that makes your car too fast to deal with and frequently kills me. It's 3D with localized damage modelling so crumpling can be a bit entertaining especially since it's not just cosmetic so bent frames etc. And it has a car upgrade system too so really as far as gameplay it makes some of today's games look a bit boring.
Or maybe you'll just like the names of the races.
Race names: Beaver City/Quarry/Mountain..."Nice Beaver", "Eye of the Beaver", "Stoned Again", "Piste Off"
El Morte Desert: "Sheik, Rattle & Roll"
USS Lewinsky: Take a guess....."Going down"
You get the point. Unfortunately I don't think this is something new enough to find for sale but it can most certainly be torrented(at your own risk). It was working on Windows 7 last time I played but had to be launched from the exe instead of the launcher.

Back