• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another throttling issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tungureanu

(Russian) Member
Ok. So i was playing around with different oc levels yesterday. I had a lot of fails, so i went to one setting i knew it worked. And to my surprise i found that when i get it under p95 blend load i am getting down throttling to 1.4ghz from 4.4ghz with 1.38v.
Temps were in the ok range: Socket 68 Core 52-53, VRM Heatsink temp 49C. I had them higher with no issue and not for more than 15-30 min.
LLC on extreme, multi x22 , FSB 200, Ram @stock,HT 2400mhz , NB 2400mhz
ALL the green sh*t off. No turbo core . Only manual BIOS OC none of that new age software. And the bios is ASUS`s latest 1604.
Could i have damaged my MB or CPU? :cry:

Pics will come later couse i`m at work.

For months last year after the release of the FX series, the 8 core cpus were giving throttling issues before they reached this level. >> Socket 68c <<.

I would foremost make sure that after all the tweaking with failures as you put it, that you do not have a setting mis-placed causing the problem.

i`m using a saved profile i made about 3 weeks ago. Could it be the latest BIOS ? Can i go back to 1503? Or is it too dangerous and i might brick it? Or maybe do OC with FSB

I would think Cool N Quiet would only down-throttle at idle. I think socket temps and power draw are the issue here. We see see this issue all the time on the Asus boards with all but the Sabertooth and Crosshair models when trying to overclock the 8 core FX CPUs.

Try putting a spot fan to blow on the socket/VRM area.

i`m using a saved profile i made about 3 weeks ago. Could it be the latest BIOS ? Can i go back to 1503? Or is it too dangerous and i might brick it? Or maybe do OC with FSB

Sort of an FYI from my experience.

1. I have never liked the idea of swapping profiles from one board to another of even the same kind. Too many variables. It often works but doing such is usually because someone will not spend the time to tweak his own setup.

2. I never use previous bios profiles AFTER flashing to a later bios. I am dang sure many do and some never seem to have an issue. But I have lived in an environment where it proved best to establish a 'new' profile for a new bios.

3. When a bios comes out I read the 'readme'. If the readme has ome general statement like " improve stability" AND I am perfectly stable >>> I NEVER flash to that later bios. IF the bios 'readme' is not directly designed to fix my video card, my usb stick or similar issue, I NEVER flash to the next bios. Remember I am saying what " I " do. There are a couple of "later" bioses for my CHV board and I have already decided that I will NEVER flash to one of the last latest as I have a hunch it will dork up my overclock.

4. Yes, I would certainly try flashing back to the previous bios. To ME flashing back to a previous bios 'should' be no more dangerous than flashing to a later bios in the first place.

Just rambling now. I have worked for a motherboard manufacturer. During that time I have been sent not only Beta bioses but even Alpha bioses. Of course I was expected to 'try' them. I have often had to report the Alpha and even once or twice that a beta bios was no good. I have even caught a released bios that had a problem. So it is that personal knowledge that causes me to leave bios flashing to someone else generally. IF my system is working fine with the parts and pieces that I have...then why would I want to risk dorking it with a new bios? I don't.

Ok. i have an update.If i tune with multi+bus i don`t have any issues. no matter what volts or temps. I was able to go 75c Socket and then i chickend out. Anyway, i`m still downgrading the bios.

PS: Can i downgrade with the software from AI Suite2 ?

Ok. i have an update. If i tune with multi+bus i don`t have any issues. < That sounds exactly the newer bios giving the issue. Glad you found it.

I use EZ Flash.

Temps will go up a little if you just increase CPU speed without adding volts because you are still making the cores work harder but adding volts is a much bigger temp increase factor.

How many transistors in a cpu now? A bunch for sure. AMD was unsure how many they even had in FX at one time. You cause transistors to switch faster then there will be more heat regardless of voltage increase or not. So raising cpu frequency will raise the temp by some amount just normally not as much hotter from frequency as from voltge increasing.

Back