• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

retail W7 cd with OEM key?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I am repairing a laptop for a family me mber. The hdd failed and they don't have a cd. Can I use my Windows 7 home premium cd with the w7 home premium key on the bottomed of the laptop?

It will work fine provided both keys are OEM flavor. I've done it many times myself.

thanks for the quick response.

what do you mean by both keys? my cd is the full retail version and (I assume) the laptop key is oem

The keys used to match the version (don't know if that's still the case). A full retail key used to be different than an OEM key or an upgrade key. I'm not sure if using a retail disk & an OEM key will work.

The keys used to match the version (don't know if that's still the case). A full retail key used to be different than an OEM key or an upgrade key. I'm not sure if using a retail disk & an OEM key will work.

It worked when I did a fresh install on my laptop a few weeks ago. As long as the retail disc and the OEM are the same flavor, i.e. Premium, Pro, Ultimate one should be fine.

It worked when I did a fresh install on my laptop a few weeks ago. As long as the retail disc and the OEM are the same flavor, i.e. Premium, Pro, Ultimate one should be fine.

That shouldn't be an issue as since Vista all versions are on the same disc (OEM has 32bit and 64bit on different disc's not sure about retail though) you pick the one that your key is for and install. I don't know if the retail disc and OEM key will play together though.

Back