• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peugot

i have to choose between an ssd intel 330 series 120 gb, or a samsung 830 128gb OEM. what is the best pick of these? important is that it is reliable and have acceptable speed/iops, and hopefully function vell in raid with my intel 330 i have already. and of course trim etc does any of them have sandforce, and do i really need that?

There are no noticable difference between the Intel 330 and the Samsung 830 in real life... so you can go for the cheapest.
IOPS are marketing tools mainly... don't take it for the "god criterium" like some may want you to think. :)

Concerning the RAID... well, I have to admit I am really not a huge fan a RAID 0 array with SSDs: it only improves sequential R/W where SSDs are already at the top...

So what is the point of taking every disadvantages of the RAID 0 only to have a 0.2 second long action taking 0.1 second only?

I am personally running with 3 independant SSDs (no RAID) and everything is fine. :)

The Intel 330 is Sandforce-based while Samsung uses its own brand.

Intel released drivers who enables TRIM for RAID array. Since I don't use RAID with SSDs, I can't tell you what it is worth ^^'.

There are no noticable difference between the Intel 330 and the Samsung 830 in real life... so you can go for the cheapest.
IOPS are marketing tools mainly... don't take it for the "god criterium" like some may want you to think. :)

Concerning the RAID... well, I have to admit I am really not a huge fan a RAID 0 array with SSDs: it only improves sequential R/W where SSDs are already at the top...

So what is the point of taking every disadvantages of the RAID 0 only to have a 0.2 second long action taking 0.1 second only?

I am personally running with 3 independant SSDs (no RAID) and everything is fine. :)

The Intel 330 is Sandforce-based while Samsung uses its own brand.

Intel released drivers who enables TRIM for RAID array. Since I don't use RAID with SSDs, I can't tell you what it is worth ^^'.

ok raid is out of my mind now =) let's say for use like you use it, what would you choose? i may also want to have linux on it for some time? and what is the best controller?

You would want to use the same exact drives for Raid really... so there is your choice if you decide to go R0 (which I agree with fornoob about doing it in the first place... DONT...outside of the IOPS. While its not the gospel, it sure as heck is important for that 'snappy' feel).

You would want to use the same exact drives for Raid really... so there is your choice if you decide to go R0 (which I agree with fornoob about doing it in the first place... DONT...outside of the IOPS. While its not the gospel, it sure as heck is important for that 'snappy' feel).

the raid i wanted to use(not want raid anymore) was for mirroring btw. i want a reliable ssd that can handle both windows, file saving and windows. so its really speed, controller, reliablity and things like trim etc which matter now

So, if you don't go for RAID, you can go for the cheapest.

If you go for RAID, keep the same SSD so an Intel 330 as I can see.

I use my computer for games and simulation (computation) mainly. Games is a non issue but simulation can sometimes require a hell of a lot of writing (several GB per run...).

I've choosen the Crucial M4 at the time for its reliability and consistency. I know that performances won't drop in time like they can do with a Vertex 4 for example (which is a good SSD by the way if you except that point).

Intel SSDs are great (but were too expansive when I've bought mine ^^'). If like me you're looking for consistency instead of amazing performance NUMBERS (I don't talk about feeling), then go for Intel.

Samsung 830 is really good too (cannot say the same for the 840...), so definitely: go for the one you prefer (look, price, whatever... ;) )

EDIT: ED just explained for the SSDs to choose in RAID while I was writing

So, if you don't go for RAID, you can go for the cheapest.

If you go for RAID, keep the same SSD so an Intel 330 as I can see.

I use my computer for games and simulation (computation) mainly. Games is a non issue but simulation can sometimes require a hell of a lot of writing (several GB per run...).

I've choosen the Crucial M4 at the time for its reliability and consistency. I know that performances won't drop in time like they can do with a Vertex 4 for example (which is a good SSD by the way if you except that point).

Intel SSDs are great (but were too expansive when I've bought mine ^^'). If like me you're looking for consistency instead of amazing performance NUMBERS (I don't talk about feeling), then go for Intel.

Samsung 830 is really good too (cannot say the same for the 840...), so definitely: go for the one you prefer (look, price, whatever... ;) )

EDIT: ED just explained for the SSDs to choose in RAID while I was writing

the intel is the cheapest one =) i have one right now, and i have had some problems with it, when i format it the efi partition was wiped away, and its a problem when im reinstalling windows it will not write to the disc before i wiped it like 20 times etc. and trimm will not work with sata 6g. so the matter is that its reliable and don't loose it over time(like you said). and that it is easy to do things with it without problems(like using it to linux whitout using up the disks read/write time. all over, the best disk of these =) i just can't make my choice, as they both look good =(

Yes, I've read it but have no return right now from friends owning the SSD :)

Anyway peugeot, almost every SSD in the market can handle that :)

References for reliability are Crucial, Intel and Samsung IMHO... but it is only my own opinion! :D

the intel have faster transferspeed, but lower iops and its only 120gb. the samsung is i very little more expensive but have higher iops and is 128 gb, but have lower read/write speed. help me choose :(

the intel have faster transferspeed, but lower iops and its only 120gb. the samsung is i very little more expensive but have higher iops and is 128 gb, but have lower read/write speed. help me choose :(

IOPS :facepalm:

And 120GB is with overprovisionning and 128 GB is without.
So basically, the amount of space is the same ;)

IOPS :facepalm:

And 120GB is with overprovisionning and 128 GB is without.
So basically, the amount of space is the same ;)

no, both sizes are unformatted. the intel will be 111.7GB formatted and the samsung will be 119gb formatted i think. do you mean iops is nothing to think about? and you do not think one ofthese are better than the other? :p

no, both sizes are unformatted. the intel will be 111.7GB formatted and the samsung will be 119gb formatted i think. do you mean iops is nothing to think about? and you do not think one ofthese are better than the other? :p

No, the 119GB instead of 128GB is due to a mistake from windows that isn't corrected since 1998.
It doesn't make the difference between Go and Gio (1000 Mo and 1024 Mo). So 128 Go= 119.24 Gio... windows displays the Gio number but gives Go as unit :shrug:

Overprovisionning is 8GB and must be done separatly for the Samsung by the software given with the SSD.

Both SSDs are great... I would say go for the Intel, since you already have one, you'd be facing something known and trusted ;)

Oh, and yes, IOPS isn't the key point: they are calculated in complete unrealistic conditions. Look for serious reviews while choosing a SSD ;)

To get a good idea of the worth of an SSD, you should at least know how it handles a Seven installation, encoding, big file transfer,etc...

IOPS gives you no information about that...

No, the 119GB instead of 128GB is due to a mistake from windows that isn't corrected since 1998.
It doesn't make the difference between Go and Gio (1000 Mo and 1024 Mo). So 128 Go= 119.24 Gio... windows displays the Gio number but gives Go as unit :shrug:

Overprovisionning is 8GB and must be done separatly for the Samsung by the software given with the SSD.

Both SSDs are great... I would say go for the Intel, since you already have one, you'd be facing something known and trusted ;)

Oh, and yes, IOPS isn't the key point: they are calculated in complete unrealistic conditions. Look for serious reviews while choosing a SSD ;)

To get a good idea of the worth of an SSD, you should at least know how it handles a Seven installation, encoding, big file transfer,etc...

IOPS gives you no information about that...

so they will be the same size??? the store told me samsung gonna be 119 and i know the intel are 111.79gb, i already have one =) but in that case ill go intel

No, I explain this clearely :D

Since 1998, a standard has been published and explained the different unit to be used in space size.

Sorry, but I will use french notation since I don't know the US one.

1 o=1 octet= 8 bits= 1 byte.
1Go= 1000 Mo
1Gio= 1024 Mo.

So:
128 Go= 128 000 Mo = 119.7 * 1.024 Go = 119.7 Gio

What you really have is 119.7 Gio or 128 Go (it is exactly the same thing!!).
Windows will give you 119.7 Go instead of Gio!!

It doesn't mean that you loose space, just that windows doesn't know how to count!

It is like I would give you the value of a distance in feet while I did measure it in meters...

So, due to this windows mistake, you will indeed see:
samsung 128 GB -> 119.3 GB
Intel 120GB -> ~111 GB

It has nothing to do with overprovisioning.
Overprovisioning is space reserved to prevent your SSD from prematurely failing. It extends your life expectancy (some way equivalent to the old rule "don't use more than 90% of your HDD space").

Usually, 8 GB are reserved and this feature is REALLY helpfull!

So, what you will REALLY have:

Intel -> 111.79 Gio or 120 Go including 8 GB (Go) overprovisioning
Samsung -> 119.3 Gio or 128 Go but with no overprovisioning.
If you want overprovisioning, then you get: 119.3 - 8 = 111.3 Gio or 120 GB.
Windows would give you 111.3 GB but as explained, he is wrong ;)

Back