• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You may want to keep this discussion in the other thread so as not to confuse and repeat yourself. :)

OK! I have just read what thideras is saying about it and I know see what has to be explained.

A bootloader is a software that allows to choose which OS to boot on.
In the case you are using a BIOS system, your bootloader is the BIOS...
As simply as that.

In the case you are using an UEFI system, your bootloader is a program called EFI.

The difference between both is that the BIOS is written in assembly and the EFI in C language.
In an UEFI system, you still have a "BIOS" + EFI.
If you delete EFI, you will still be able to boot.
If your MB is stamped UEFI, and you delete (or don't have) the EFI partition then the MB itself can play the role of the EFI (well, more precisely, as a bootloader but it is the old MBR, not exactly EFI) and you don't have to deal with the EFI partition (it is under the OS level).

I guess this is why you don't have an EFI partition that is appearing Earthdog: your MB already deal with it and you never had to create one (consciously or not).

The computer I am currently on is an old thing with many drives having seen lots of different OS with an old MB (not UEFI) so basically, each of them has been a boot drive at one point of their life ^^'.
That is why I can see their EFI partition: I created myself.

So if your MB is already UEFI, don't feel concerned about it :)

Last edited:
You may want to keep this discussion in the other thread so as not to confuse and repeat yourself. :)

yes, but i was thinking ppl had unsubscribed this thread så i started another one because of no answers =) but there was still ppl on this now :D i needed to get it answered quickly before i ordered a new SSD, in case i should buy one without that EFI problem.. i really love this forums!

No worries. Just remember its not an instant message client (people were replying to you before and after you created that one, LOL)! :)

Back