• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, I explain this clearely :D

Since 1998, a standard has been published and explained the different unit to be used in space size.

Sorry, but I will use french notation since I don't know the US one.

1 o=1 octet= 8 bits= 1 byte.
1Go= 1000 Mo
1Gio= 1024 Mo.

So:
128 Go= 128 000 Mo = 119.7 * 1.024 Go = 119.7 Gio

What you really have is 119.7 Gio or 128 Go (it is exactly the same thing!!).
Windows will give you 119.7 Go instead of Gio!!

It doesn't mean that you loose space, just that windows doesn't know how to count!

It is like I would give you the value of a distance in feet while I did measure it in meters...

So, due to this windows mistake, you will indeed see:
samsung 128 GB -> 119.3 GB
Intel 120GB -> ~111 GB

It has nothing to do with overprovisioning.
Overprovisioning is space reserved to prevent your SSD from prematurely failing. It extends your life expectancy (some way equivalent to the old rule "don't use more than 90% of your HDD space").

Usually, 8 GB are reserved and this feature is REALLY helpfull!

So, what you will REALLY have:

Intel -> 111.79 Gio or 120 Go including 8 GB (Go) overprovisioning
Samsung -> 119.3 Gio or 128 Go but with no overprovisioning.
If you want overprovisioning, then you get: 119.3 - 8 = 111.3 Gio or 120 GB.
Windows would give you 111.3 GB but as explained, he is wrong ;)

this was really interesting, thank you! but one thing, you say Intel -> 111.79 Gio or 120 Go including 8 GB (Go) overprovisioning
Samsung -> 119.3 Gio or 128 Go but with no overprovisioning.. by that you mean samsung will not do overprovisioning(at least automatic)?

No, Samsung doesn't do automatic overprovisioning. In order to have it in your 830, you have to use the software that is sold with the SSD (SSD magician or something like that).

Last edited:
No, Samsung don't do automatic overprovisioning. In order to have it in your 830, you have to use the software that is sold with the SSD (SSD magician or something like that).

oh... i was looking at an OEM samsung 830, it comes with no such things....

So consider the Intel instead ;)

Or go for a Samsung 830 with the software

thinking on going intel again.. samsung non-OEM do cost much more. the intel 330 120 GB cost 96 euro(or 125 us $). do you have any suggestion to other SSD with same size thats may be better then? (in the same price class)

Better? I don't think there is anything really better... Crucial M4 are great for consistancy, a little less for performance but it is still fast enough (from my point of view :) ).
Vertex 4 are great as soon as you don't fill them (lol...) and tends to loose their speed with time way more than M4 or Intel SSDs.

Intel 330 is definitely a solid choice in this range! :D

Better? I don't think there is anything really better... Crucial M4 are great for consistancy, a little less for performance but it is still fast enough (from my point of view :) ).
Vertex 4 are great as soon as you don't fill them (lol...) and tends to loose their speed with time way more than M4 or Intel SSDs.

Intel 330 is definitely a solid choice in this range! :D

sounds good, intel it is! thank you VERY much, this is gonna be great =D

The EFI partition is a partition on your drive that contains the boot loader programs for each operating system installed on the device (in an other partition of course).
It is recommended to be the first partition of the device (not required).

You need it, absolutely.

EFI partition? You mean the 100MB partition? When you install windows it will create it.

No, the 100MB partition is MSR (Microsoft reserved partition) and is different from the EFI (sometimes called ESP).
Each bootable drive must have an EFI partition, while only the drives with a microsoft OS have a MSR partition.

Actually, you are booting on it, whatever the OS you choose in dualboot.

Let's take an example, you have a drive with linux + seven on it, so here is your structure:

EFI partition

*Linux partition*
Linux
DATA

*Windows partition*
MSR partition
Windows
DATA

To see the EFI partition for example on seven, you can see it in the disk management (if your system is UEFI of course, you wont see it in BIOS).
But you shouldn't be able to delete it that easily...

I just see the MSR in Computer Management (3770K/Asrock OC Formula that is UEFI. I dual boot XP and W7 if that matters - and thanks for the explanation btw).

Strange that you dont see it on seven, I see it...(see attachment)

For XP 64 bits, if I remember well, just type the command invite:
mountvol z: /s

if z is the letter of your drive.

You know should see and access to the partition.

Attachments

• EFI partition.jpg
    EFI partition.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 7
When I get home I will post a SS of my system. But Im 99% sure I only have the 100MB MSR partition for bitlocker and all that jazz.

Thanks again. :)

EDIT: I edited a post of mine above (2 posts up). Check that out as the OP started another thread asking this question and was given a different answer I think.

EFI partition? You mean the 100MB partition? When you install windows it will create it.

no, it dissappeared when i reinstalled windows(after cleaning disc), and didn't come back when i installed windows on it again... it was on the disc when i got it brand new..

The EFI partition is a partition on your drive that contains the boot loader programs for each operating system installed on the device (in an other partition of course).
It is recommended to be the first partition of the device (not required).

You need it, absolutely.

well it's not here now... it got deleted i think, and did not come back when i installed windows again

Back