• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with overclocking Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ikameozero

Registered
hi i just got into Ocing im finding the cpu part is much easier than the memory i know/understand timings but how much volts is safe my ram is khx1600c9ad3b1/2g

it has a stock 1.65v how much farther can i up the volts before it gets to dangerous also any little tips or tricks to Oc ram would be very much appreciated oh and i'm not using any mini Ram cooling fans or anything just so you know

its a simple question that nobody seems to be able to answer... its annoying i cant find anything about it online i donno if my ram is Overclockable or not if raising the voltage will melt my PCb/MB or not that's why im bumping this i wanna overclock and cant = bump bump bump...

I doubt that you overclock this memory higher. Try up to 1.7V what should be safe for most available IC but if you notice that it's not clocking any better than on 1.60 or 1.65V then just drop voltage and play some with sub timings. Since Kingston is using different chips for their cheaper kits, I won't really tell you how it will be overclocking or acting on higher voltage.
Also since you know where is edit button, please edit your posts. Don't make 3 in a row when noone is answering.
For me it was 4:30am when you made thread ;)

Get the data sheets for the CPU and memory and search for "absolute maximum" voltages, and don't exceed the lowest absolute maximum of either. For DDR3 it's 1.975V, including almost all 1.35V low voltage memory, but some was rated 1.8xx volts absolute maximum.

Modules rated 1.65V have already been overclocked quite a bit.

I doubt that you overclock this memory higher. Try up to 1.7V what should be safe for most available IC but if you notice that it's not clocking any better than on 1.60 or 1.65V then just drop voltage and play some with sub timings. Since Kingston is using different chips for their cheaper kits, I won't really tell you how it will be overclocking or acting on higher voltage.
Also since you know where is edit button, please edit your posts. Don't make 3 in a row when no one is answering.
For me it was 4:30am when you made thread ;)
thank you both for the answers and sorry for the mass bumps but i was so annoyed id been looking for the info for 3 days googled so many times was ridiculous. everything was like mixed some say not over 1.65v some say not over 1.5v and some say not over 1.7v.

also one last thing i didn't mention my cpu is a 2600k and intel said anything over 1.5v can fry the IMC is this true or are they saying that because they don't endorse OCing do you know woomack ?

Most P67 boards have at least up to 1.7V memory voltage so at least from board side it's safe. I wouldn't trust what intel says in this case as their representatives weren't sure 2-3 weeks after premiere of SB what voltages are really safe and some of them were testing it. In specs you have 1.5V but also for IB it's much lower than most popular memory is rated for.
So you know that boards and memory can run without problems up to 1.8V and sometimes higher.
Noone will really tell you if voltage above 1.65V will be safe for memory controller but so far I haven't seen anyone burning IMC because of that ( at least not while running memory up to 1.75V ).
I was testing memory up to 2V but that's for benchmarks not 24/7. I see no point to keep memory above 1.7V for 24/7 as most popular IC are making high clocks and not that bad timings at about 1.65V.

Most P67 boards have at least up to 1.7V memory voltage so at least from board side it's safe. I wouldn't trust what intel says in this case as their representatives weren't sure 2-3 weeks after premiere of SB what voltages are really safe and some of them were testing it. In specs you have 1.5V but also for IB it's much lower than most popular memory is rated for.
So you know that boards and memory can run without problems up to 1.8V and sometimes higher.
Noone will really tell you if voltage above 1.65V will be safe for memory controller but so far I haven't seen anyone burning IMC because of that ( at least not while running memory up to 1.75V ).
I was testing memory up to 2V but that's for benchmarks not 24/7. I see no point to keep memory above 1.7V for 24/7 as most popular IC are making high clocks and not that bad timings at about 1.65V.
ok so your saying 1.7 is max for 24hour casual use thanks woomack also you said something about editing my Posts how do i delete posts i'm new new to this sites post system thanks for all the info

Below your post there are edit and quote buttons. Use edit button to change what you want or click "go advanced" to have more edit options.

Back