• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC is super dusty, safe to vacuum?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Since I have soo many intake fans and they're all set on high it gets quite dusty inside. I normally use a dust can spray thing but that doesnt help much. I was wondering if it's safe to vacuum the motherboard, cpu cooler, fans, etc. or would it cause some kind of static damage or possibly even suck off a part or two. My vacuum is pretty damn strong and I don't want to risk it if there's a chance. So, what shall I do?

What I have used for the last five years is a very soft paint brush while wearing antistatic wrist band. Then use the can air to blow off all the loose dust. Works like a charm and have never had an issue.

To clean the fans I leave the system on and fans running max and lightly apply the paint brush to them.

I also use strong vacuum but not directly into the board.
I use small paint brush to dust of while the vacuum is waiting to suck the flying dust.

Don't touch anything with the vacuum tip, they can build up a pretty wild static charge.

Back