• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Card to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madmanj94

Registered
Hey guys First of all im terribly sorry if i have posted in the wrong section.
So basically i have this Old XFX 9600 GSO that i have been using for more that 3 years and it has not failed me untill recently with Really bad FPS running recent games such as Max Payne 3 / Far cry 3 at lowest settings @ 1280 x 720 res below 30fps, so im thinking that its time to upgrade. i have somewhat a budget of £130-£180 looking to spend on a card that could Run games without any probz.
My specs are as follows-
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i3 550 @ 3.20GHz(Clarkdale 32nm Technology)
7.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24) "also looking to upgrade"
Acer Aspire M3910 (CPU 1)
1536MB GeForce 9600 GSO (XFX Pine Group)
http://puu.sh/1NAm2

So if anyone has any recommendations please let me know, i thank you verry much and yet again sorry if i have posted in the wrong section

Is your PC a prebuilt, from Acer? What PSU does it have? Please furnish us with make and model of the PSU. Need to know the PSU first before making any recommendation. Also, what resolution do you game at? Are FC3 and Max Payne 3 typical of the kind of games you're into? Where will you be buying the new card? If from an online store, please provide link....

PSU is ACE 700w and i game at 1280 x 720 but i would preffer at 1920 x 1080 and yes Games like FC3, Gta, BF3 and Dark siders are my types of games. The only game i can run atm with 60+ fps with maxed out all settings is only CSS :3
And also it is prebuilt and bought from PC world. I do not know which card to get yet, so i dont even know where to buy it from.

Does your ACE 700W PSU come with a black case and red fan? Regardless of that, it seems to be of low quality build and even though it may be rated at 700W, the question remains as to whether it can deliver the goods, so to say. Looking at the ACE 700W Black pricepoint, I have serious doubts that it can or does. My suggestion is to change both PSU and GPU, but that would require that you pony up extra cash for a decent PSU. My recommendation would be a Corsair CX/GS 550W PSU, or higher. As for vid card, best bang for buck would be the HD7850 2GB......the GTX660 may be better, but it shoukd be pricier as well.

:welcome: to OCF!

Here are a solid PSU with the adequate amount of power :) (your rig with new graphic card would not even require 350W so 700W is wayyyy overkill)

As a graphic card, I recommend the HD7870 which will run every recent games maxed at 1920*1080 at decent (40+ fps) framerates :thup:

The other PSU I've linked (the seasonic) is if you plan to upgrade further in a more powerful rig :D

Attachments

• ocbuild.png
    ocbuild.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 129
:welcome: to OCF!

Here are a solid PSU with the adequate amount of power :) (your rig with new graphic card would not even require 350W so 700W is wayyyy overkill)

As a graphic card, I recommend the HD7870 which will run every recent games maxed at 1920*1080 at decent (40+ fps) framerates :thup:

The other PSU I've linked (the seasonic) is if you plan to upgrade further in a more powerful rig :D
Would i even be able to run ati?

No reason you can't.

What's the budget for the upgrade?

What motherboard you have? The first generation i3s overclock very well.

For any Core i CPU, a three digit number is 1st generation. 2xxx are 2nd generation and 3xxx are third generation. Only exception are CPUs for the X79/LGA2011 platform, which are 3xxx but actually 2nd generation.

i have no idea which gen it is, my budget is £130-£180 im not looking to go over £180

I understand: the GPU was slightly out of budget (2 £), the PSU linked was in case you would like to change it later so not on the same budget I mean :)

If you accept to lower some graphical options on some games (bf3, metro 2033, etc...), a 7770 could run them in middle/ high settings with 35-40 fps and costs less. Some reviews are done with this card and cpu like yours, so you can compare and decide.

The HD7850 is kinda between two legs because it costs almost the same than the HD7870 (20£ difference for what I can see) and performs only slightly better than the HD7770 in 1GB version.

So, to summarize everything:

budget decision: HD7770 but may need to be upgraded again in some years if you plan to stay up to date with new games in high settings :)

Just out of budget but best choice: HD7870. (182£)

Between both: HD7850

It is up to you to choose :thup:

allright thanks alot guys, it seems like the 7850 might be a suitable card for me but their are so many different versions, any idea's?
Thanks again.
*edit the Cpu is Intel Core i3 550 so im guessing its 1st gen?*

allright so i just orderd my self a Gigabyte 7850 OC and ill let u guys know on how it preforms. Thanks for the tips btw.

Knufire is right, the HD7850 is a fair deal faster than the HD7770. Here is an XFX HD7850 2GB Core Edition at ~£139:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...gddr5-28nm-gpu-860mhz-1024-cores-dvi-hdmi-mdp

That leaves ~£40 for the PSU, in this price bracket, I don't think modular is an option since they tend to be more expensive vis-a-vis non-modular equivalent (I may be wrong, not a PSU guy, so wait for the real gurus to step in). Here is a Silverstone Strider 500W PSU at ~£37
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w...-psu-silent-80-plus-atx-12v-23-24x7-use-ready!
Or, this Corsair CX500 @£45 (blow your budget of £180 a little)
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w...ronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-psu

I am just saying, there are places where you can buy cheaper things, if the OP knows where to go, and so happens there's a GTX 670, that's worth considering...

... i almost never buy things in official stores dude... rip off.

yeah the GTX 670 is too pricey for me. I was thinking about getting the New GTX 650 Ti but after watching alot of reviews and compairing GPU's Core clock, bit rate and Memory This card is great value for what it delivers. Aswell as his card i also got Far Cry 3(a game i really wanted) and medal of honor as a bundle for £160.
The 7850 delivers (Approx)Memory Bandwidth: 153.6 GB/sec
FLOPS: 1996.8 GFLOPS
Pixel Fill Rate: 31200 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 62400 MTexels/sec
Where as the 650 Ti delivers (approx)
Memory Bandwidth: 86.4 GB/sec
FLOPS: 1425.408 GFLOPS
Pixel Fill Rate: 14848 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 59392 MTexels/sec

Back