• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb 2nd Part Listing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantomofnight

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Gaming ATX Mid Tower
Mobo: ASUS Z8NA-D6C Dual LGA 1366
CPU: 2x*Intel Xeon E5506
RAM: Kingston DDR3 SDRAM 1333 Registered Server 3x4GB
PSU: Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V

I'm looking to do some water cooling on two computer towers. One of them is a server with 2 CPU's, the other is a gaming rig. I'm only going to post the server. I will post the server for now. I will post my second proposal later. Here is the list of hardware:

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Gaming ATX Mid Tower
Mobo: ASUS Z8NA-D6C Dual LGA 1366
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5506
RAM: Kingston DDR3 SDRAM 1333 Registered Server 3x4GB
PSU: Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V

CPU Block: 2x Koolance CPU-380I
Radiator: Swiftech MCRx40 "Quiet Power" Dual 140mm Radiator
Fans: Prolimatech PRO-BV14 140mm Blue Vortex 14 Case Cooler (Push/Pull Config)
Pump/Res: Swiftech Maelstrom (Built in Swiftech MPC35X Pump)
Fittings: Bitspower G1/4 Fatboys
Tubing: ClearFlex 60 Tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" OD
TIM: Indigo Extreme
Fan Controller: ZALMAN MFC1 Plus-B Black 6 Channel Multi Fan Controller
Coolant: Distilled H2O with some anti-algie stuff and maybe a touch of the Zerex coolant for anti-Galvanic Corrosion
Hose Clamps: Worm Driven hose clamps from local hardware store
Misc Part: LGA-1366 M3 Posts

I'm not too confident with the radiator. If it's not going to cool enough, I understand I can add more, but I think that should be good enough. From what I saw on other reviews and comparisons, there are better rads, but I don't want to pay that much. I'm also planning on mounting it externally from the system, built into a desk, perpendicular to the floor. If any of you could comment on my selection, or can make any recommendations, I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Just a quick thought for now... You may want to rethink the radiator selection. The Nehalems put out quite a bit of heat, and you've essentially got one 140mm rad for each. IMO, this will be roughly equivalent to a standard air cooler. Personally, I would get two of those rads, and run one for each CPU, but I have been known to be a bit excessive :).

It might just be me, but I wasn't able to get to the link to check out the pump.

Just a quick thought for now... You may want to rethink the radiator selection. The Nehalems put out quite a bit of heat, and you've essentially got one 140mm rad for each. IMO, this will be roughly equivalent to a standard air cooler. Personally, I would get two of those rads, and run one for each CPU, but I have been known to be a bit excessive :).

It might just be me, but I wasn't able to get to the link to check out the pump.

I was also considering the XPSC RX480 for radiator. Do you think that would be enough? Or should I go CPU --> Rad --> CPU? Thank you. Also, the pump is integrated with the reservoir.

Order doesnt matter so long as the res/tline is before the pump. The temperature inside a loop varies VERY little (1-2C with proper flow).

Try your chosen rad first, temps might not be really low, but good enough methinks. If your overclocking them, then you want more.

CPU-Rad-CPU-pump/res? makes no diff due to the specific heat properties of water. Put the rad wherever you like in the loop.

You need no anti-corrosion stuff. That's been mentioned already.

Don't use the IX TIM on the first try. Build it with regular paste and once you got the loop done etc, then do it. IX is tricky to use, don't add extra complexity on your first WC build.

What they said already on the order. Order is inconsequential. Sorry if my post implied that.

Conumdrum has far more experience than me in the WC department, so I'd listen to his advice on the radiators.

Do keep in mind though that it's usually easier to go too big, and be safe, than it is to get something a bit too small and be kicking yourself for not having enough headroom.

Try your chosen rad first, temps might not be really low, but good enough methinks. If your overclocking them, then you want more.

CPU-Rad-CPU-pump/res? makes no diff due to the specific heat properties of water. Put the rad wherever you like in the loop.

You need no anti-corrosion stuff. That's been mentioned already.

Don't use the IX TIM on the first try. Build it with regular paste and once you got the loop done etc, then do it. IX is tricky to use, don't add extra complexity on your first WC build.

I think I'll go with a 3x140mm rad, just to err on the side of caution. This is for a command line Linux server that I plan on running 24/7 in an environment that has the potential to get pretty hot. I don't plan on overclocking, and if I do it won't be anything crazy. My main goal is to just have a good delta T.

As for the TIM. Would you recommend I use Shin-Etsu X23-7783D instead of the IX? It seemed to get a good review as far as pastes go.

Now, I thought that I was mixing metals in my loop. My blocks are nickle coated and my rad is brass. I thought that there was a chance for galvanic corrosion. Now, I did read somewhere (not sure where, read a lot of stuff and haven't kept track of it all) that each metal has a number factor associated with it. The further apart those numbers, the greater chance of corrosion. Now, I seem to remember nickle and brass being very close. Is that why I don't need any corrosion inhibitor? Or did I just miss that nickle and brass play nicely with each other?

Again, I thank you all for your help. I'll make a couple changes to another set up of mine, and post that proposal later.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head for galvanic corrosion. They're close enough that you don't need an inhibitor.

As for your delta-T, do you plan on mounting the radiator far enough away that the heat you mentioned wouldn't be an issue? Your cooling will only be as effective as your ambient temps.

You hit the nail on the head for galvanic corrosion. They're close enough that you don't need an inhibitor.

As for your delta-T, do you plan on mounting the radiator far enough away that the heat you mentioned wouldn't be an issue? Your cooling will only be as effective as your ambient temps.

Thank you for clarifying the galvanic corrosion. Any other newbs reading this post, I'll just say read the stickies, and links, and such. You will learn a thing or two. Back to my main thought...

No, during the summer time, the ambient temperature gets up to 86 degrees F or above. That's not ideal computing temperatures when you factor in air cooling. I mean, yeah, you can, but water cooling is so much more effective. Now, I know that in that environment I won't be able to cool below that temp, but air cooled vs water cooled...water cooled will keep my components closer to the ambient temp than air cooling would. That's the whole reason I'm even sinking the time, effort, and eventually money into this project.

PM inbound with pic...

If you are making a switch from the high speed server proc fans, I totally understand the reason for wanting to WC, those things are LOUD. WCing will also get you better load temps, provided you have enough/the right equipment for a good dT.

Water cooling is still cooled by that same warm air... it wont be any different. ;)

Well, I've already invested too much time into this project to abandoned it. But, for real, my cpu's will be cooler with a water cooled system vs an air cooled system, right? RIGHT?! :shock:

Thank you. Also, after doing a little bit of reading, I'm going to be taking a look at a different control panel for the fans. For the fan controller, I'm going for Lamptron FC8. This will also be powering two systems worth of fans. I'm also looking into a control panel for the computer (power, reset, USB, audio). The control panel is for mounting on a desk, not for "computer bling". It will have a functional purpose.

Anyone have experience with the XPSC EX420 Radiator? I'm thinking of putting it in this system in place of the Swiftech that I was originally considering.

Back