• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, need advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Research is always best. Plans change once the plan is put in action. You got a big job in front of you, you are doing your homework. Thanks! It makes our job just being here to help ya.

Never know, might get it all in the mail and... ohhh crap I forgot xxx... It's a hobby tho, so no worries.

And without humor we would never laugh at the monkies... us. Glad I gave you 15 seconds of couch potato arobics.

hi again
@ cumdrum i'll try to figure a way to get the pics up here
find a imagehost or somethin like that

@ slikk have you already ordered the gpublocks ?
if not the diagonal of the fastener on the mcw60 block is 75mm or barely less than 3 inches
i just mesured it on the stock cooling for my vidcard
i guess it will save you some money if you can use them instead of those fullcoverblocks

Nice

Pretty sweet, I am building almost an exact system as this.

Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX VE1000BWS Cube Tower
Case Fans: 6x Thermaltake A2029 120mm Case Fans Air Flow 35.43-95.22 CFM
PSU: CoolMax CUQ-1200B 1200W ATX12V
MB: [XF] ASUS Rampage Extreme (x48 Board)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 E0 Wolfdale 3.33GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
GPU: Dual Sapphire 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2's CrossFireX (2GB GDDR5), 512-bit (256-bit x 2) PCIe 2.0 x16 20GB/sec bandwidth, 24X CFAA
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HDD: 6x Maxtor 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA (Matrix RAID Configuration)
DVD/CD-Burner: 2x Lite-On 20x DH-20A4H-06
LCD: Acer AL2416W (I have one AL2416W now, but I might run it x3, in a Matrox TripleHead2Go configuration) Need to do a little more research on this.
HD Audio: SupremeFX X-Fi 8-CH Audio card
TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit 1128 NTSC/ATSC/QAM/FM TV Tuner Card w/MCE Remote
-----------------------
Liquid Cooling System
-----------------------
CPU/NB Loop:
CPU Block: D-TEK FuZion CPU Block
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC
Tubing: Masterkleer PVC Tubing 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 1/8" Wall Thickness
Hose Clamps: 10x Stainless Steel Worm-Drive Hose Clamps
Fittings: Swiftech High-flow fittings 1/2
Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.2
Radiator Fans: 2x A.C. Ryan BlackFire4 UV LED Fan - 120mm Air Flow 77.70 CFM (BLUE Inside, BLUE Outside)
Shroud: ThermoChill PA 120.2 Shroud
Reservoir: D-TEK Bay-Reservoir- Single 5 1/4"- UV Blue
Coolant: Distilled Water
Biocide: Petra'sTech "PT_Nuke" Concentrated Biocide (10ml)

GPU Loop:
GPU Blocks: 2x Dangerden GPU blocks look promising at the moment. (or something similar to keep the two 4870 x2's cool)
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC
Tubing: Masterkleer PVC Tubing 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 1/8" Wall Thickness
Hose Clamps: 10x Stainless Steel Worm-Drive Hose Clamps
Fittings: Swiftech High-flow fittings 1/2
Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.2
Radiator Fans: 2x A.C. Ryan BlackFire4 UV LED Fan - 120mm Air Flow 77.70 CFM (BLUE Inside, BLUE Outside)
Shroud: ThermoChill PA 120.2 Shroud
Reservoir: D-TEK Bay-Reservoir- Single 5 1/4"- UV Blue
Coolant: Distilled Water
Biocide: Petra'sTech "PT_Nuke" Concentrated Biocide (10ml)

Questions I have on this.

1. The 2x 4870x2 any one using this compares to say 4870 X 4870x2 ? I have not seen any real numbers or gains. I currently have 1 4870x2, and not sure if I should pickup another or just wait. (I have a matrox digital th2go coming to run 3 Acer 24s)

2. I have 4 x Swiftech MCR220, 2 in the back in the loop for the CPU and NB and I am going to put 2 in the front for the GPUs, (air cooled atm) My cpu and nb seem to do well underload on 1 MCP655 pump. I plan on doing something similar for my GPU once I find a good block for it. - any advice?

3. I am using push/pull on the current rads and plan on the same thing for the new ones. (Gotta Love the TT Mozart Case for fans)

4. I am using Patriot Extreme 4x2048 pc3-12800 7-7-7-20 seemed like a good deal and I could not find any other here in Mexico.

Same mobo but using a q9450 cpu, have not OC yet been waiting for all my gear to come in.

Vista Ultimate 64
PrimoChill PC ICE coolant
5 x Seagate 750gb 32mb cache.

Any suggestions or things I need to be concerned about.

Teth

@ Tethered

1: All of my parts have not come in yet so I could not tell you from my own experience what the difference would be, but here is a really good article on the 4870x2, and they did tests with, and without Crossfire.

Check this out.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUzMSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

2: Results are starting to come in and it seems that the Danger Den DD-4870-X2 Water Block works pretty good, but it’s not very good looking IMO. For someone with a closed case, it wouldn’t make a difference, but with a case like the Mozart TX I would think that looks do count, that’s why I decided to go with the AquagratiX HD 4870 X2 Water Block. It not only looks better IMO but its very practical too. Instead of taking up two slots per block, it only takes up a single slot, that would free up an extra two slots. That would give me one extra pci, and one extra pci-e slot, so this GPU Block is the one for me.

Here are some pics of the GPU Block

http://www.aqua-computer-systeme.de/e_forum-index.htm

3: +1 Gotta Love the TT Mozart Case, it’s a very very good case. I love the design although I think that they could have made it just a little deeper though. It’s also a hard case to do really good cable management on, because it’s such an open case that it can be hard to hide the cables. Not that it can’t be done; it just takes a lot of thought and foresight.

4: After my mobo came in and I had a chance to go over the manual I decided to go with Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory.

The main suggestion that I have is that if you decide to go with 2x 4870x2’s, make sure that you have a PSU that is at least a 1000w or higher. This is one power hungry setup.

What sims do you run with your th2go? I would think that if you are going to be running 3x 24" Acer's at higher resolutions, it might not be a bad idea to have that second 4870x2 in your rig if you can afford it.

Slikk

Last edited:
Thanks for the links,

I did not have much choice in memory as Mexico runs a bit behind in the bleeding edge, I ended up between OCZ and Patriot.

I just ordered two swiftech mcw60, going to create a 2nd loop for my video, I have an extra res and 2 more MCR220-QP rads. I plan on leaving the stock heat sink on the rest of the card.

I am planning on picking up another x2, but will play with my current setup as soon as I finish my dremel-ing on the case and put everything back in.

Teth

Back