• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Donate -- folding farm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soren

hey,
this is a bit of an odd question, but i'm a regular here so I figure you guys can trust me enough.

I'm trying to start a folding farm, and if you guys have CRUMMY [or good ones, whatever] computers/components that are sitting in your basement [i don't care if they're 133Mhz computers] I'd put them to use in my folding farm, hell i will even pay shipping!

If you have any suggestions, or if you want me to make rounded cables for you to pay off for the component/shipping or whatever that would be fine. I just want to help us get to the top, and this problem in the past!!

suggestions?? anything??

I have all kinds of stuff laying around. A GF2MX400, 1GAthlon, 300W psu, 3 hard drives, all dead. The athlon will soon be reborn as a keychain, but it's now in 3 pieces. RIP (I miss it, what can I say) This isn't a bad idea though and some of that equipment is easily worth a rounded cable or a set of rounded cables, or whatever.

On a sidenote and a minor hijacking of the thread, but this reminded me of it. I remember seeing in another forum where they were trading spare parts with each other to try and get more machines up and running without shelling out a bunch of cash. I can't remember which one although I think it was probably ArsTechnica. It seemed like a good idea, but I don't know how well it worked or how it turned out.

I like the trading idea. I'm lacking a few parts from reviving two computers and I know my wife would shoot me if I bought more parts ;) But I have so many other stuff that I could trade for the parts I need. I'm sure this is the same situation for a lot of others. So if we could start a sticky or something to trade stuff then I would definitely be interested.

Besides, this way more people would be able to bring old computers back to life and get them folding. I'm sure more people would be interested in doing this than just giving computer parts away (just talking from a practicallity standpoint).

Any ideas about how we could get this setup? Anyone else interested?

Edit: WOA...I haven't been around for too long. I didn't even notice Ploaf made it to senior member. Congrats dude :beer:

Soren said:
hey,
this is a bit of an odd question, but i'm a regular here so I figure you guys can trust me enough.

I'm trying to start a folding farm, and if you guys have CRUMMY [or good ones, whatever] computers/components that are sitting in your basement [i don't care if they're 133Mhz computers] I'd put them to use in my folding farm, hell i will even pay shipping!

If you have any suggestions, or if you want me to make rounded cables for you to pay off for the component/shipping or whatever that would be fine. I just want to help us get to the top, and this problem in the past!!

suggestions?? anything??

You'd need to have some kind of record of who have donated what. team leaders should control that somehow...

I can donate 1x 3com etherlink ii, bnc isa nic + some cable... u don't need hub to run bnc stuff :) u could get cheap network with bnc. I might have 1x working (not tested yet) agp-videocard too.

the most expensive parts are: cpu, mobo... 2nd expensive atx-case+power, memory, hdd...

Actually, you really wouldn't need the vid card or any of those extras, just mobo's, proc's, psu's, and boot floppies, right?:confused:

Tweaked! said:
Actually, you really wouldn't need the vid card or any of those extras, just mobo's, proc's, psu's, and boot floppies, right?:confused:
No, how are you going to get it to boot without video card? you dont really need a floopy or a cd rom once you have your OS installed on HD you can get most of your driver from the net just make sure you install drivers for nic or modem while you still have floppy installed.

You'd only need a video card to set it up.. or, heck, i could always get cheap ones.

Trading would be great. I'd just like to see farms sprout up anywhere. Shipping could be 50/50 or different depending on item trade, anything would be great.. but this problem won't solve itself. Plus, the sense of community is great!!

Like the pen floating around [btw, i hope i'm still in line for that].

Soren said:
You'd only need a video card to set it up.. or, heck, i could always get cheap ones.

Trading would be great. I'd just like to see farms sprout up anywhere. Shipping could be 50/50 or different depending on item trade, anything would be great.. but this problem won't solve itself. Plus, the sense of community is great!!

Like the pen floating around [btw, i hope i'm still in line for that].
not sure if I am understanding you. yes you could use a cheap video card but you have to have some kind of card or your computer won't post.

Here's some stuff I will donate if anybody can use it for a farm.

1 - P 166 mmx from a gateway computer with 32Mb ram(168 pin Dimm) onboard vid.

1 - P2 266 with from a gateway with 32Mb ram, 440LX AGP

1 - P2 intel 440 EX motherboard, no ram or cpu. Can't remember what I took this out of. (Gator's P2 266 would work on this board)

1 - Quantum bigfoot tx 8.1Gb hard drive -- Donated

1 - Quantum ata33 6Gb hard drive -- Donated

1 - Seagate 1.2Gb hard drive. -- Donated

2 - ISA modems

This is stuff that I pulled from peoples machines I've upgraded recently. Everything worked when it was pulled. If anyone can use this sruff for a folding farm and will pay shipping then its yours.

Last edited:
S_Wilson said:
Here's some stuff I will donate if anybody can use it for a farm.

1 - P 166 mmx from a gateway computer with 32Mb ram(168 pin Dimm) onboard vid.

1 - P2 266 with from a gateway with 32Mb ram, 440LX

1 - P2 intel 440 EX motherboard, no ram or cpu. Can't remember what I took this out of.

1 - Quantum bigfoot tx 8.1Gb hard drive

1 - Quantum ata33 6Gb hard drive

1 - Seagate 1.2Gb hard drive.

2 - ISA modems

This is stuff that I pulled from peoples machines I've upgraded recently. Everything worked when it was pulled. If anyone can use this sruff for a folding farm and will pay shipping then its yours.

Dibs on a hard drive. :D

The bigger the better, but I could live with a 1.2 Gb, if someone needs the bigger ones worse. Let me know if there are any other takers.

NedClocker said:

Dibs on a hard drive. :D

The bigger the better, but I could live with a 1.2 Gb, if someone needs the bigger ones worse. Let me know if there are any other takers.

Nedclocker, your the first to respond so pick your drive. All the same price --FREE-- for folding farms that is:) .

By the way, all the mobo's are atx.

Email

junque box contents - any takers?

Speaking of free parts looking for a good home:

I still have a few loose Pentium's left over if anyone want's em:

(1) Pentium-III/500mhz (Katmai) slot-1 CPU w/fan
(2) Pentium-II/266mhz (Klamath) slot-1 CPU's w/fan's

No mobo's left I'm afraid, these are just loose processors which were known to be working at the time they were taken out of service to be replaced with something faster. :burn:

Although I have serveral other miscellaneous PCI and ISA boards in the swamp, (er, junque-box), most of em are SCSI host-adaptors, sound boards, ISDN adaptors etc, nothing terribly useful for building folding boxes. Anybody want an Adaptec 1542 ISA SCSI host adaptor, think I've got a couple of those someplace?? :D

Anybody still using ISDN and need an adaptor? :p

Been thinking of having a garage sale later this spring... and putting out all the old computer parts at 10cents a board... I pay the dime if they take the board! Maybe clear enough room to actually park the CAR in the garage! :beer:

I don't have anything to give that I can think of. I already gave most of it away :(

BTW. This seems to be starting off right but..... One thing to keep in mind is that this is NOT the classifieds which are really for the purposes of trading/selling. Just thinking about this and figured that I should say something before anything happened.... Anything for sale needs to go into the classifieds. This section should just be to help set up dc boxes. We are talking about the donation/possible trading of excess parts but you may not necessarily have an even exchange. If an even exchange is what you want then the classifieds or ebay is the answer. Any thing donated should be considered a donation and nothing else. Payment is WU's for the team. Shipping OTOH is something that should be worked out with individual offers and I would expect the receiving party to pay shipping unless otherwise stated. I just don't want to hear people carrying on about being ripped off. It should also be team members who have shown some dedication and not someone who popped in to scam some free parts. How to measure that dedication? WU score? Or is that even needed? That may be something to keep in mind in the future. I don't know that scammers would pop into this forum which is dedicated to our desire to donate machine time/electricity/equipment to science and research or even just to do something in the name of O/C.com which is a contrary thought to most scammers. anyway. Main point of this? I don't want something that starts out simple enough to turn into a nightmare. Come to think of it that paragraph is pretty depressing and I think I need a :beer: oh well. It is said and hopefully it never needs to be mentioned again. ;)

As for keeping track of things. It's possible. We can try to keep track of what is donated and what is still up for grabs. I was just going to use a text file. If anyone else wants the job then it's yours ;) but it shouldn't be too difficult to manage. If we do update or keep track of this then any donations made should be posted and you should say who you sent the parts too. ok? ok. One more thing. I was going to keep track of what is there, but not post it. It's been posted by whoever is offering but I wanted to avoid posting a shopping list of all parts available from everyone.

BTW. Thanks Azhari.

Not too cr*p in your thread, but I am also making a Folding@Home farm.

I have a dual 333 up and running, and 2 p2 233's! :D

It's getting there, but I still need more $.

Check out the link in my sig.

And if I have any extra stuff Soren. Ill let you know! :D

Sorry Gandalf, I'm still a few posts away from viewing that link.

Ploaf, you are correct, if its for sale then it belongs in the classifieds. I can see where something like this can turn into a nightmare.

Rooting around in the closet and stumbled across a couple of more useful things.

1 - Celeron 466 -- Donated

1 - alpha pep 66 hsf -- Donated

Email me if you can use any of this stuff. Its all free but shipping to established folders.

Last edited:
yeah, great job, i am proud to be a member of such a charitable team....i would ask for some stuff seeing as i have the equipment to make a couple more rigs, but my parents would probably turn them off :eh?:

Wilson --- if you have any MOBOs left I could use them. esp pentium ones, but anything will do.

Gator -- both of those CPUs would work great!

PM me for shipping talks, etc. if you still have the stuff

Back