• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Degradation of FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zebucity

Registered
Hi fellas,

I have a question about pushing my FX-8350 up from 4.5Ghz to 5.3Ghz.

The question is, with daily usage of 8-10 hours 5-6 days a week, with a Swiftech h20-320 HD Edge cooler, what sort of degradation will I see on the CPU. Am I looking at a 3 year window before I begin to fail stress test? If I can keep the temps around 45-50 degrees under application load with voltage sitting around 1.48 - 1.52 will the CPU be reliable for 3 years?

Thanks for your thoughts,

-zeb

not much is known about degradation some even say it doesn't exist, so no one can say when / if its going to happen.

At high volts and temp, degradation will happen over time. If you can keep the temp OK, and the volts not to high ( i dont know AMD clocks/volts that much ) you will be fine.

We have no data. In three years we'll have a little bit of data to answer that.
For the moment, if you absolutely must have the CPU last three years, don't raise the voltage over stock.

I think you underestimate the amount of voltage that 5.3GHz requires. Rgone has a pretty cherry chip and was up to 1.55 or 56 at those kind of clocks. The one I have needs almost 1.5 to be stable at 4.8GHz

If I can keep the temps around 45-50 degrees under application load with voltage sitting around 1.48 - 1.52 will the CPU be reliable for 3 years?

I would be very surprised if you can achieve that much overclock on that voltage and stay within the temp envelope you specify.

And how sure are you that overclocking the CPU that high will give much more performance than say 4.4 ghz? Have you read the thread about performance flat-lining on the FX CPUs? It's more dramatic on the Zambezi CPUs than on the Visheras but it's still there.

after a year of hammering an 8120 by Rgone and myself at high processor speed and very high voltages (long runs at over 1.6 vcore) it's still the same old cpu it has always been.

as for the flat line it is 4.4 with mine with 2133 ram was 4.2 with 1600 ram.

I appreciate your real world example caddi daddi.

I have read Rgone's post, you know the one with many, many pictures and tons of information. I look to 5.3 because based on his graph, after a significant drop at 5.2, 5.3 offers a 4% increase. Just to note, I am under the impression that each 100Mhz performance increase stacks upon the previous.

I define load as: Camtasia / PlanetSide2 / Crisis 3 / Photoshop ect. not as Prime95.

I also understand that each chip is different, I may not be able to get to 5.3.

As well, if I can not push a Prime95 for a minimum of 2 hours below 60 degree then it is ruled as unstable and declocked to a speed that can handle temp wise 2 hours.

benches are just that, benches.
my 8120 will clock into the 5's but in the real world of getting work done over days one a single calculation set measured on a clock the actually "usable" clock was 4.2.
that was the clock speed that it got the work done the fastest.

Thank you RGone. You have made me this |___O___| much smarter.

After I read that; I decided that about 4.8Ghz is all I am going to run my FX8350 up to because it "is" a good one. I use 4.8Ghz to do my video editting and with my cooling I can do the editting at about 1.48Vcore. That is the part about it being a pretty good cpu, in that it runs fairly high without huge Vcore. Now that 1.48Vcore does not give me much pause at all.
RGone...

After I read that; I decided that about 4.8Ghz is all I am going to run my FX8350 up to because it "is" a good one. I use 4.8Ghz to do my video editting and with my cooling I can do the editting at about 1.48Vcore. That is the part about it being a pretty good cpu, in that it runs fairly high without huge Vcore. Now that 1.48Vcore does not give me much pause at all.
RGone...

What are your temps like and with what cooler?

Back