• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 @ 5ghz Not yet Stable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tic...tic...tic...tic...but no toc...KaBoom...:bang head

Bobert...sterski.
There was a KABOOM alright, right between my ears. I just snapped one day didn't even shut windows down just hit the power switch on the PSU and parts started flying.

Lol...... always thought tic tic tic or whatever was OK, usually when things go quiet all of a sudden mean ohhhh crappie somethings wrong usually followed by kaboom. ;)

Lol...... always thought tic tic tic or whatever was OK, usually when things go quiet all of a sudden mean ohhhh crappie somethings wrong usually followed by kaboom. ;)

That's what I always noticed with children in the house if you can't hear them they're definately into something they shouldn't be! :shock:

Ok. Got it stable in prime but had to drop it down way low. The socket temps are the issue. My socket temps are about 16-25C above core temps when running on full load. I put a fan and it helps a bit but I can see this being a long haul to 5ghz (If it is even possible). Going to work on getting to 4.5 now. P95 really hits the socket hard. Other than a fan, any ideas on how I can drop it.

Attachments

• 28 min.JPG
    28 min.JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 116
  • cpuz.JPG
    cpuz.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 115
  • hwmon.JPG
    hwmon.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 115
  • memory.JPG
    memory.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 113
What I do when benching is remove the case cover on the back side of the mobo and I have a regular floor fan blowing air over the back of the board. It drooped my socket temp a lot. It is not a permanent fix, but if you are just playing like me, it will help. A permanent fix is a fan on the back side of the socket.

Yes it is a long haul to the big 5.0 steenkiee

This is what I did to help my socket temps, it's a 50mm, 5000 rpm chipset fan held in with double sided tape.

Capturefan.PNG

steenkie, if you already have a fan on the rear of the motherboard socket, there is very litle you can do to lower temps further. I recently upgraded to an fx-9370 because I got it for cheap. It went to 4.9 ghz out of the box with nothing but tweaking the multiplier, core voltage, and LLC. Currently running it P95 stable (30 min tests) without dropping a single worker at 1.50v. When I pushed it to 5ghz, I was able to get it and have it stay there without issue, but socket temps were sky rocketing, and I have a 120mm fan on the motherboard socket. under 100% load at 4.9ghz, socket it easily 25C hotter than core temps. It seems this is just how it is with these AMD 8-cores. They're hungry.

Like Johan said there's not much you can do. Now if you are using a custom loop an put a water block on the VRM in combination with a fan you can cut down your socket tempo quite a bit more, not saying this is fact for everyone as all systems are different but for me it was a good 20*C temp difference.

I agree with "bassnut" in that W/Cooling the VRMs might help, but that it is probably going to be system dependent and not all will see any big help. I have had zero issues with fans on my VRM (big ones though) and doubt water on VRM and NB would do much. If you are cooling the pee out of the cpu, the VRM and NB stay in line and play nice.

BUT I don't care what you do for 24/7 running 5.0Ghz is just about a pipe dream if pushing all 8 cores ALL the time and heavily. Not for all but surely for 98% of us, that 5.0Ghz for 24/7 use is sort of iffy all around.
RGone...ster.

I agree with "bassnut" in that W/Cooling the VRMs might help, but that it is probably going to be system dependent and not all will see any big help. I have had zero issues with fans on my VRM (big ones though) and doubt water on VRM and NB would do much. If you are cooling the pee out of the cpu, the VRM and NB stay in line and play nice.

BUT I don't care what you do for 24/7 running 5.0Ghz is just about a pipe dream if pushing all 8 cores ALL the time and heavily. Not for all but surely for 98% of us, that 5.0Ghz for 24/7 use is sort of iffy all around.
RGone...ster.

I would have to agree with RGone with what he has just said. One thing I didn't mention should someone go that far to cool everything in their loop a big decision to be made is cost, is it worth $1000+ in cooling parts for you to cool your CPU, N/B and VRM to be able to run it @ 5GHZ 24 / 7.

I currently have a stock AMD CPU fan on the back of the socket; taken from the fan that came with my fx-6300. It seems to help but my temps are generally 18-25c hotter on the socket. And honestly, watching the socket temp when running prime95, it is the culprit on failure. I have gotten to be 30 min stable at 4.8 now but I think this might be the limit. with P95 and I doubt I could run it 2 hours stable as I expect socket temps to raise.

I am going to work on playing with socket cooling and see if I can bring it down enough to get it 2 hour stable @ 4.8.

I do not plan to run 5ghz 24/7 and I mostly game on my PC. OC'ing is pretty much just a hobby and I like seeing how much I can squeeze out of my investment. Even if I get stuck at 4.7/4.8, it will be a great $169 investment.

I have noticed, most of the temp gains are in the first 30 min of prime. If I go 2 hours I only pick up 1 deg for the max temp. That 8k length FFT is a real cooker.

230mm fan intake front
230mm intake side
140mm intake rear

Push/pull Kuhler 1250 top with 2 120mm fans pulling from top.

My case is a HAF32 and my airflow is pretty good; it has served me well with my 955, fx6300.

230mm fan intake front
230mm intake side
140mm intake rear

Push/pull Kuhler 1250 top with 2 120mm fans pulling from top.

My case is a HAF32 and my airflow is pretty good; it has served me well with my 955, fx6300.

Just wanted to make sure there was decent flow through the case.
Seems like there is.

How much TIM did you use?
Too much could run off the side of the CPU a bit and hold heat around the socket.

Back