• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer loses power under load?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tychi

This problem has only just started occurring very recently. Basically whenever my computer is under load, or playing a highly graphical game, my computer looses power completely. It doesn't restart itself, and i have to press the power button to power it back on. Prime95 also cases my computer to lose power.
There is no BlueScreen or anything. I have checked my event logs and have found error 41 kernel-power.
The weird thing is, my computer doesn't seem to shut down when playing a game like DoTA 2, but when playing something like Battlefield or Tomb Raider, even Counter Strike Global Offensive, it loses power.

I believe this problem has started occuring ever since i downloaded MSI afterburner. I have changed my graphics card setting back to default and uninstalled MSI afterburner yet the problem still occurs.

Other things i have tried :

. Checking the temps of my computer. Processor (AMD Phenom 955 Black edition) seems fine. Runs at 60 degrees on load and 40/below idle.

. Graphics card (GTX 560) runs at 60-70 degrees. 90 is apprently the max temp for my card, so that seems fine.

. Restoring the bios settings back to default

. Turning cool n quiet off

. Turning Thermal Throttle off. When this was enabled, my computer seemed stable, but my CPU was not being used fully, and stayed around 41 degrees on full load? (Using Prime95 to test) I also experienced large FPS drops whilst playing DoTA 2, every minute or so, which would last for a few seconds. (Very frustrating)

. Increasing the multiplier in Bios. This some how made my computer stable. But everytime i wanted to turn my computer on, i would need to remove the PSU lead, hold the power button down for ten seconds and then turn the computer on again. Without doing this, only my mouse and the fans would light up/turn on.

I believe the problem is occuring because of something to do with my bios but i am not sure what.

My computer specs:

Nvidia GTX 560
8gig Corsair vengeance ram
AMD Phenomx4 955
500W OCZ PSU

Thanks!

Here are pictures of my bios settings

img0503au.jpg

img0504na.jpg

Do you have access to a known-good power supply you can install to test with?

I do not :(. For some reason, when i turn thermal throttling on, it seems to stable my computer but i get huge FPS spikes in games

Are you using window8. I had all kinds of problems with afterburner and win 8. I ended up reinstalling win8. But I hadn't had it running for long so it was no big deal. Could try cleaning the registry and reinstalling your drivers.
EDIT I use Nvidia Inspector now with no issues.

Back