• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Headset Suggestions? (Gaming)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Techie714

Registered
Hey guys, I like to come to this forum because the folks that post here are always very knowledgeable with excellent suggestions & commentary. I'm in the process of looking for a new gaming headset. I'm currently using a 3-4 year old Logitech G35 7.1 & generally enjoy it. The headset is getting pretty old & shabby though & perhaps I'm missing out on some newer better audio technologies in headsets these days?

These will be used for 80% gaming & 20% music listening at my desktop.
Prefer USB connection since I seriously doubt I can get an amazing sound spectrum with wireless & I dont have a sound card for line-in.
Please do not exceed $150.00 max!

Thank you all! :)

For 150 USD, buy this:

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 (aka. the Noctua headphones, kinda ugly, but finest quality)
Asus Xonar DGX (cheapest PCIe card with some kind of headphone amplification)

They are not "gaming", or "surround", or "999.5 Super Sound Channels". They are just stereo headphones (what you need, last time I checked we have two ears) and a nice audio card (based on C-Media Oxygen, one of the best PCI DSPs IMHO) that will take care of all that 3D emulation and positioning you need for FPS games. These will deliver a better sound quality than anything from any other gaming brand (Logitech, Razer, Tritton, SS...). Also, the card has some headphone amplification (based on an OPA, can't remember the actual model). They'll be great.

If you don't like the Noctua color style of the ATH-AD700, look for the ATH-M50. They are similar to the AD700s, but closed.

@TXUS Thanks for your post, however I'd prefer USB instead of getting a seperate sound card.

@ASUS ROG I've had the Steel series in the past & was not super impressed. Razer makes decent gear but they dont specialize in high quality sound.

These look really cheap & gimmicky to me but people on amazon & Newegg RAVE about these headphones? The reviews on them on solid too. I might add these to the "maybe" list.
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Conn...TF8&colid=17OWSRPDMNW9V&coliid=I1HUZYANTJ26UC

If you want to buy a sound card get the good one so you don't have to regert later
I would pick Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX sound card, it cost a little more but quality is much better
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soun...TF8&qid=1364587203&sr=1-3&keywords=sound+card

My suggestion is to look in this section you posted in for other suggestions. This question has been asked a lot, and recently, so there are other resources already available too.

@EarthDog I've actually looked at a few other threads & that's where I got the info on those "Rosewill" ones that people rave about.

@Txus
Thanks for that & I did read it, I just find it hard to believe headphones that inexpensive can deliver a really epic sound experience?

i have turtle beach x12's and they are the best headphones i've ever owned.
they were like $60. i'm sure for $150 you could get the next step or two up.
idk about anyone else but i love them and the reviews are great.

@ASUS Rog I've had the Steel series in the past & was not super impressed. Razer makes decent gear but they dont specialize in high quality sound.

These look really cheap & gimmicky to me but people on amazon & Newegg RAVE about these headphones? The reviews on them on solid too. I might add these to the "maybe" list.
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Conn...TF8&colid=17OWSRPDMNW9V&coliid=I1HUZYANTJ26UC

Very serious about gaming headset then check this out
71PZgfsAEaL._SL1500_.jpg

Razer Tiamat Elite 7.1 Surround Sound headset, i just remember this headset, got to test this headset out a a friend house and the sound quality was amazing

If you want to buy a sound card get the good one so you don't have to regert later
I would pick Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX sound card, it cost a little more but quality is much better
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soun...TF8&qid=1364587203&sr=1-3&keywords=sound+card

Nope. Nope. Nope.

That card is one of the worst things you can do.

First of all, Creative's been a mess with the drivers for so long that I can't recommend them to anyone.

Also, I don't like PCBs for sound devices with so little components on them. Sound is an analog phenomenon, you can't just use digital components everywhere and expect it to sound as good as an analog system. It just won't, compare a good vinyl to a MP3 128kbps, for example.

Furthermore, the use of words like "TruStudio Pro" "Recon" "3D" or brands like "THX" trigger a lot of red flags to me. They are almost all gimmicks. My motherboard supports (read, ASUS paid for the licenses of) THX TruStudio Pro. I tried it. I uninstalled it. Not a single of the effects were worth it for me. I would also like to point out that you can buy a license for THX TruStudio Pro and use it on any cheap Realtek codec. And it will work, maybe you have to hack some PCI IDs, but it will work.

And, what about the use of a big chunk of plastic (?) to cover the chip? And the LEDs? I see this as a unit marketed to gamers, not for high quality audio. Clearly, this unit's strong point is that it looks good.

I would also like to point out that it reiterates on digital optical output a lot, when digital output does not require any fancy hardware to work properly. The best digital output is the one with no modifications whatsoever that goes directly to a receiver. And some people defend coaxial as a better media for digital audio than optical.

The high-end amplifier is just a Maxim MAX97220A. Creative's design uses a single chip to handle both the front panel and the I/O output. The MAX97220A can only handle one at a time, disabling one when the other is used. The Xonar has two amplifiers, a Texas Instruments R4580i for the headphones, dedicated, and a New Japan Radio Corp. JRC5532 for the stereo output. This looks way stronger to me than Creative's solution.

I don't doubt Creative hardware skills, but Asus uses Cirrus Logic DACs. They're pretty nice chips, and I would buy those any time if I had to choose between them and Creative's.

And, about the "Core3D". The best consumer-grade sound card right now is the Essence ST (and the two derivatives, Essence STX with PCIe support, and the ROG Phoebus for the gamer market, basically an Essence STX with a beautiful face). That card uses an OxygenHD DSP (relabeled as ASUS Virtuoso AV100/AV200). I'd rather trust C-Medias solution, considered by some as the best PCI DSP than Creative's.

And I've had Creative cards (X-Fi Titanium), and cards that used Creative chipsets (Auzen Bravura). The driver support was horrendous on both, having to rely on third parties (PAX) for the drivers.

Yes, it look good, decent sound, in fact it was my first sound card, still working ok(i just pop that thing in my pc to test it last week before i give it ti a friend because i have to move and can't take everything with me)

You really don't need great headphones for gaming. I just use a generic pair for gaming and it works great. (Really, when you're gaming, you aren't going to notice a little unevenness in the frequency response.) For music, I was using a pair of JVC HA-FX33s, but I'm looking at reviews to find an upgrade since they're falling apart.

For your budget, a pair of (low end) Grados looks like a good choice. In case you don't know, Grado is a professional audio brand. For a sound card, Asus is a great choice, but try the onboard first since it's pretty good on good quality motherboards.
And some people defend coaxial as a better media for digital audio than optical.
That depends on how you define "better". Coax is definitely much cheaper and more forgiving than fiber. (Bend a fiber cable a little too much and it's broken, while coax can take a lot of abuse.) Coax can cause ground loops and provide a path for EMI, while fiber will not. Fiber can easily run a much longer distance than coax (though that's irrelevant in most home setups).

I've decided to go with these. I made this decision based on the professional reviews & the positive reviews from Amazon, Newegg, etc. I've never used Plantronics before but like Sennheiser all these people do is audio & sound. almost 700 reviews on Amazon & generally people are raving about these. Guess well see? Thank you all for your input & suggestions they helped me a lot in knowing what's out there & what to look for.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1KJK22/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Plantronics GameCom 780

Back