• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bose noise canceling headphones for gaming ? Or get a gaming headset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

Hey guys. I currently have a well at the time 250$ headphones from bose. Sound quality is amazing on them... But after 6 years the ear pads are falling apart.. The speaker on the right side isnt as loud so i have to adjust windows sound to more volum on the right side. The Both speakers cant handle high base anymore eithsr.. they vibrate almost i cant describe it but basically the speakers are going bad.

I was in microcenter today and decided to check out the bose headphones. I looked at the quiet comfort 35 which is a noise cancelling headphone. Wow they sound a million times better then ny old quiet comfort two noise cancelling headphones from bose.. I always thought with noise cancellation sound quality goes down. Also very very comfortable and like all bose headphones have great adjustments.. But they habe that faux lesther on the earmuffs which does flake off overtime..my computer chair is flaking all over ny floor.. same material..

Now the gaming headset im looking at is the steelseries arctis 7. Rated one of the better gaming sets of 2018.. I listend to 5 other gaming sets there and this one sounded the best to me. Was also very comfortable, didnt have the fake leather.. But it had no height adjustment.. So it felt like they were on edge of exposing my ear on the bottom..

I tried to listen and remember sound quality between the bose and this... It seems to bose has better base.. Though and being noise canceling i was more immerssed. The other headphones i could hear the noise in the store. Thats one thing with my current bose headphones.. You cab hear the fans on your pc.. Eveb at 700 or 1000pm i can hear them.. I can even hear the AIO pump which is very faint.

I thought with the bose headphones this would completetly eliminate that and id probably hear more in a video game... But the gaming sets. They claim they have the best surround sound and so forth and well are built for gaming so you can hear footsteps and everything. The bose i dobt know if they have surround sound ?

The price is also huge.. 350 for bose and 130 for the steelseries arctis .

What do you guys think ? Money isnt an issue.. So if you habe a better recomendation shoot away

Also my motherboard has a core3d processor from creative built in.. thats One reason why i originally bought this motherboard.. Are gaming headsets with virtual surround sound basically just headsets with their own audio processor so you dont need to buy a good sound card.. If this is the case then wouldnt the bose headphones with my core3d audio processor be the same as a gaming suround headset ? Im confused how this works.

Boss says the quiet comfort 35 isnt surround sound.. That means ill need a dedicated sound card for surrpund right ? since i have a core3d then tjere will be surround on the bose... Just like a gaming headset am i right ? Sorry im just confused. Gaming headsets mention you can hear this and that behind on the left right ect.... But thats simply due to their surround processor right ? My core3d will do the same thing to a bose headphone right ?

Or will a gaming headset be better then the bose with my core3d sound

If I may make a reccomendation and money isn't an issue, then I suggest a solid pair of in-ear-monitors. For picking up on the faintest of sounds, I find these to be much superior to CANS. You would be surprised at the bass some of these things can produce. Look into SHURE or WESTONE for plenty of options. Just like headphones, the price can easily start getting ridiculous.

Regardless of the output device having their own dedicated audio DSP, the signal coming out of the sound card will always be the same. What the virtual headsets do is add some post processing once the signal makes it to the headset. Whether or not its better/worse is subjective, but from my experience I prefer not to use these types of headsets.

Last edited:
I've always used this site: https://sites.google.com/view/headphoneadvice/home as my starting point for deciding new headphones. It helps first narrow down what is in my price range, and than I can start google searching competitors of the headphones suggested. I've been pretty picky with my decisions to find the best fit for the sound I like. No one hears the same, so each person will like some variation of Bass, Treble, and Mids. Although Bose are great (I keep a pair for work/traveling), they don't do well for balance when it comes to background noise, talking, and any action that may be happening in my games.

For my home system I use the Astro A40s. They have a bit of a gimmick to them, but their sound for price is great quality to me. Plus the sudo-DAC that they pair the headphones with is helpful to switch between the two different speakers that are in the headphones. Very helpful for when I'm playing games but want to talk to someone over TS.

Well first off, do you want stero HP's or 7.1 HP's ........ Answer that question please.

So you want 7.1 gaming headset I suggesat research. These headsets are usually USB and what have you. Or get the Steel Series. Just note if the headphone is 100 dollars and cheaper that its a POS my friend.

Check out Razer headsets. Their mice suck but they make good HP's go figure.

Just ordered a set of mdr7506 from Sony. I'll let you guys know if they're any better than what I have now. (Mdr ex61 earbuds)

These don't sound too bad. Listening to them meanwhile. Got em long time ago from Costco. Really pronounced thump-thump-tuump and tsk tsk tsk on soundtracks gtr2

So close to being retired now..View attachment 201327

So I got a set of 7506's from Sony!
Put them on and wow, they're so light on your ears, you can't even feel any pressure! They dull out the noise ok, I can still hear the AC behind me 2 feet away:D the sound is so clear! It's crazy, now I can hear all compression on my lower bitrate music:eek: you can hear like *everything* inside the music with these on!! So good!!

I put my old in ear buds for a giggle and while they sounded not too bad, the new ones are oike if you're free in a room and suddenly someone opens up the windows and let's all light in!! Such a sound!

Taco likes!:)

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

View attachment 201428

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

View attachment 201429

Nice! I had a pair of Sony at one time. No idea what model, it's been a dozen years or so, but I really liked them. Very accurate sound reproduction.

These days I'm more into open-back options for gaming. I tested the Sennheiser HD598SR and the Audio-Technica AD700X, and ended up going with the latter. It's light and comfortable to wear, thus ideal for prolonged usage. Only the bass isn't out of the world (i.e. overpowering), but I guess you already know that before going with a brand like AT. The Sennheiser model was good, too, but I went with the AT because of the wider sound-stage and higher comfort.

Open back headphones look so strange, especially those ATs. Are they loud to someone standing next to you? I've never tried something like that before, actually never even seen them in person.

Open back headphones can be heard by others, but it isn't obtrusive unless they're sitting next to you or you have the volume set very high.

To be honest guys, and a little embarrassing, I just use my Jaybird BT headset for gaming. I really use it for everything, working out, playing fetch with the dog, gaming, talking on the phone....

Back