• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

samsung 840 pro 256gb issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

=XAF=AfterShock

got this drive on friday and spent the day reinstalling windows 7 and some of the games I regularly play. Up until I started actually testing out load times for games i was thrilled at how fast this was over my western digital black but as soon as it came to map loading times I woudn't have guessed that I even had an ssd drive, I've tried l4d2, farcry 3, serious sam 3 and skyrim and all of them took just as long as my old drive so I ran some tests with samsung magician and crystaldiskmark using the default win7 ahci drivers as well as the newest ones for AMD and this is what I got.

To me the IOPS seem extremely low as well as the 4k tests compared to what I've seen in every review I'm found and all of them were done on intel chipsets I've yet to find one review done on and amd board. So is something wrong with my setup or is this another penalty for sticking with amd?

IMO, there is nothing wrong. The review numbers are from completely empty drive, not partly filled drive and also dont have an OS running on it.

Try ATTO, it usually give the numbers they spec on box.

As for games loading, not all games loading are HDD limited. Some games wont really load faster on an SDD or just a little bit. I cant really say for all the newst games since i'm all SSD now ... did'nt loaded a game from an HDD in the past 3 or 4 yrs.

here is my atto run with the default settings, I guess things look pretty normal on that test comparing my results to other atto results.

yeah I'm happy with my purchase, hopefully they become more mainstream so the prices will drop, I'd be perfectly happy with a 512gb but right now its a little more than I would like to spend.

I have found that the first time I load a map for a game that resides on my SSD, it takes longer than I would expect. After that though, any repeated attempts to load the map seem faster.. Have you tried testing out loading a game several times?

Thanks for posting the benchmarks. I have been eyeing the same combo for a while now. Do you have all your steam games on the SSD or did you split them between the WD black and the ssd?

Usually game loading times require inflating a bunch of compressed textures, so once it's read off the disk (fairly fast on an SSD or a defragged spinning disk, since they're large single files for the most part) it's CPU limited.

Thanks for posting the benchmarks. I have been eyeing the same combo for a while now. Do you have all your steam games on the SSD or did you split them between the WD black and the ssd?

I've been installing the games I know I'll play again right onto the ssd and skipping the ones I haven't played in along time. I have 107gb of free space and crysis 2 and 3 left to install so I should have plenty of space left over for random programs down the road. Don't have to worry too much about leaving a certain percentage of empty space as my over provisioning partitions is 23gb, more than enough for the controller to do its work.

Back