• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting to upgrade my sound system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RipsawLegacy

Registered
After using a g930 for over a year now and having to switch to the default stero coolers of a computer long since trashed I decided its time for an upgrade to coincide with my new build.

The build is going to be quite extreme and price is not an issue.
I dont know anything about audio systems. And it doesn't look like the stickies have anything good.

Ive always like when my room ( a moderately large bedroom) is full of noise, so I would like to go with a full speaker system. Besides knowing that I want an insane sound card I dont know anything else.

Anything would be appreciated, links to guides. Vouches for products. Advice, whatever you guys got to share I would appreciate it.

What kind of sound system are you wanting? 2.1, 5.1,5.1, bookshelf speakers?

Speaker systems can be EXTREMELY expensive so be careful what you say when you say price isn't an issue because you'd be looking at spending $500+ for a basic setup

What is the maximum amount you are looking to spend on speakers,sub,reciever,etc.

$700 on the receiver, $1300 for the speakers. Don't need another sound card, use the SPDIF optical from the Mobo to the receiver. The receiver will do all the Decoding.

This is the 5.1 set i would get. Compact and powerful...if you are not worried about size, there are better in the price bracket.

Last edited:
Sound cards are pointless with a receiver, like Conundrum mentioned above. Better to use SPDIF (raw data) out from the motherboard and let the receiver decode it into an analog signal as it'll probably do a better job than a sound card. The best sound cards out there are still only low-mid range quality compared to the rest of the audio world.

Sound cards are pointless with a receiver, like Conundrum mentioned above. Better to use SPDIF (raw data) out from the motherboard and let the receiver decode it into an analog signal as it'll probably do a better job than a sound card. The best sound cards out there are still only low-mid range quality compared to the rest of the audio world.

I learned something today. :D

EDIT: Actually, more than one something.

Get a receiver/amplifier that uses surface mount MOSFETs/HVICs (look through the vents and they should look something like MOSFET heatsinks on a motherboard) since that gives a better resolution than the old through hole stuff. Then buy a pair of nice speakers and for the other three, take a look at places like Goodwill or Salvation Army.

i has a sony muteki 7.4 system i picked up from jbhifi at a sale for a touch over a 1000, for gaming movies and on my 7series samsung 55" its amazing :)

Back