• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory dilemma!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jgv115

I'm building a new computer at the moment. It's going to be running on the new Z87 chiset with a 4770K etc etc...

I'm deciding on the RAM at the moment and I need a few suggestions.

I've decided I want to go with Corsair's line of memory. I had my eyes set on the Corsair Dominator Platinums 2133mhz 8gb kit. I was just about to pull the trigger on that and then I saw the new Vengeance Pros get announced and that has prompted me to reconsider everything.

Firstly, I want this computer to last at least 2-3 years at least. Will 8GB of RAM be enough? I'm not a professional graphics designer or anything I'm simply an enthusiast and a big gamer. Secondly, what speed of RAM should I go for? I'm straying away from 1600 at the moment, I want 2000mhz+ as I read that Haswell's controller can go up to 3000+? Finally, cost aside, what would be the difference between the Dominator Platinums and Vengeance Pros and which one is the superior product? I live in Australia so the Vengeance Pros will still take a while to become widely available so should I wait a bit longer?

If anyone has had experience with the Dominator Platinums, would you recommend it at all?

Thanks!!

Well...

8GB RAM will be plenty for everyday usage and gaming. You're best bet is to get 1866 MHz memory. This is basically the cutoff point for everyday/gaming, everything above this is a waste. You would only want higher speeds if you are benchmarking. You're only other consideration is the timings of the memory sticks. Try and get some with CAS 9/10. Although this is not too important for everyday/gaming, its nice to have and separates the great from the good sticks... price will also be reflected in this measure though.

I have no experience with the Dominator Platinums. But they look flashy and you pay extra for that ;)

Back