• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new set of RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n7plus1

Current PC specs are in my signature.

Presently running Mushkin Blackline 8GB with its only XMP profile @ 1600.

Looking at just replacing them with another 8GB setup but interested in running 16GB... (2x8gb)

Would want something faster with my setup

Anyone have any ideas for me? Theres just too many to choose from.

Anything will be fine honestly. There is little to no point to getting faster than 1600Mhz ram really.

2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz 1.5v... what looks good and cheap will be fine for 99% of people. :)

so higher timings and higher speed wont net me any better results vs lower timings and lower speed?

Well, first, you want timings to be LOWER, not higher. Second, you are correct (speed doesnt matter0. In the vast majority of applications and games (that don't use the iGPU) will not benefit much if any at all. Ram bandwidth is not a bottleneck. ;)

Let me get you some links...http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-bandwidth-latency-gaming,3409-10.html

Two out of five game tests, F1 2012 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, showed us that that both bandwidth and latency can influence frame rates significantly. Both variables appear equally important, too. We might have guessed we'd see the results we did; after all, both titles are already known to be less graphics-bound than the others.

On the other hand, Metro 2033, Battlefield 3, and Aliens vs. Predator demonstrated no changes at all. The performance of the first two titles is most consistently associated with the speed of a given machine's graphics subsystem, so it makes sense that we don't see a big impact from memory bandwidth or timings. And when it comes to the high frame times that impose perceived choppiness, those appear tied exclusively to graphics performance, not memory throughput or latency.

Getting back to the games that were affected by memory performance, only one title exhibited differences significant enough to be noticeable during real-world play. Even then, the average frame rates were so high that your eyes (and displays) would need to be about twice as fast as ours to realize the real-world benefits of faster RAM.

Do you think it is worth it to pay more for almost no perceivable gains?

Well, first, you want timings to be LOWER, not higher. Second, you are correct (speed doesnt matter0. In the vast majority of applications and games (that don't use the iGPU) will not benefit much if any at all. Ram bandwidth is not a bottleneck. ;)

Let me get you some links...http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-bandwidth-latency-gaming,3409-10.html

Do you think it is worth it to pay more for almost no perceivable gains?

no, i know i want my timings to be lower, but with a higher speed come high timings.

to answer your question, no...i dont, haha

I think you would be hardpressed to tell the difference between 1600 @ 6-6-6 vs 2000 @ 7-9-7 or 8-8-8 or 2133 @ 9-9-9.. In the end, they work out to be about the same.. I hear on the newer platforms highspeed with looser timings works out pretty good, since they use tighter subtimings. And then you have the IMC itself.. I am not sure whether or not you can control uncore speeds on newer systems, on 1366 it provides a bit better mem. performance.. But nothing noticeable for day to day stuff.

Back