• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi guys new to pc building need feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coldashes

Registered
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/[email protected]/saved/1MqA

I want to build a powerful gaming PC that will last a while. Would like to be able to play games on ultra settings. My budget is max $2,000. I live in NA so I will buy from any website that ships to NA, I also live near a micro center if its worth going to instead of buying online. I will overclock it and may also add another gtx 780 in the future, but for now I am going with the 550w psu. I want this computer to last a long time without having to add to it for a year or two this is why I am willing to drop so much cash on it. I haven't added any peripherals because I am set there and no monitor since I have a 37" vizio HD TV. I also left out a operating system because I am all set there and am planning on using windows 7 vs 8 due to compatibility issues. The last thing I am leaving out is a optical drive since I don't need one. Any suggestions on improving the build or replacement parts that may save some cash while not sacrificing performance? I would also like to know how well this build stacks up against other high end pcs. Me and my friend are going to build very similar pcs so any helpful suggestions would really be great. Thanks everyone in advanced.
When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

Last edited:
I think that's a pretty logical build. :thup: You pay a premium for the GTX780 currently because it is new and the performance is not that much better than some of the alternatives.

Looks pretty good. If your going to be overclocking the CPU more than a bit you should go higher end on the CPU cooler. Haswells run as hot maybe a bit more that the 3570k's.

Where is NA?

Hi guys thanks for the feedback. By NA I just meant I live in North America. I am completely new to overclocking so what cooler or how many coolers would I need to get the cpu to its max stable oc? I think ive read it can go to 4.7 and still be stable.

Should probably also mention I am not planning on doing anything crazy as far as cooling goes with this first build. I just want to get a reasonably high oc without having to use anything other than fans. I hear liquid cooling in the end isn't worth the hassle eigher because fans can cool just as well as liquid.

Depends if you want to do an All-in-one cooler (AIO) or a custom water cooling loop. The difference is 100-150$ vs 300-400$.

A good AIO cooler right now is the Swiftech H220 (140$) which will give you plenty of cooling for overclocking and you can attach a custom loop to it later.

That AIO sounds like a good deal I will definitely keep that in my when I start trying to oc. Should I bother with that after market fan I added or would the stock fans I have suffice before I start oc my machine?

The Hyper 212 EVO is cheap enuff and good enuff for a beginner to OC. If you have the bit extra to spend get it now. Maybe it'll be all you need. Then decide later. The Swiftech H220 is very nice. And in the WC forum we have extensive stickies so you can learn about watercooling ahead of time and get comfortable with the tech and terms etc.

I think ill try around using the evo first so I can learn a bit about ocing without dropping a lot on AIO cooler that I may not need right away. After I oc my chip a bit ill definitely read more into cooling methods. I appreciate the feedback and am really interested in anything else anyone else has to say. Thanks guys.

Okies, go for it, good luck!

Build outside the case on cardboard and do all your stress testing etc. Better to find the mobo etc is bad before it's all on the inside etc.

Yea I definitely will be doing a external build. I am going to be following a tutorial video from eggxpert. I just wanted to see if people had any suggestions for replacement parts, but it seems like I finally have a good list of parts. I won't be ordering parts till next month since I am waiting on my best friend to come home from his internship. So if anyone still has amy ideas let me know.

Coldashes, the build looks good, my only suggestion is to look through newegg, you may be able to find some combo deals on the parts you picked to save some money.

The combo deals come and go. When I am ready to start ordering ill definitely make sure I get the combo deals.

By that do you mean that the graphics card will be more than what I need? Eventually games are going to get more power hungry so I figured this was the best choice if I did not want to add another one for awhile.

By that do you mean that the graphics card will be more than what I need? Eventually games are going to get more power hungry so I figured this was the best choice if I did not want to add another one for awhile.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this one. If you can afford the better card, go for it.

Yes, that makes sense, but look at the price. The 780 is $650 vs $400 for a 770 or $350 for a 7970.

Performance per dollar, 780 just plain sucks:
perfdollar_1920.gif

Yea I definitely see what your getting at knufire. Before the gtx780 came out I was just going to get the 7970, but then decided not to bc if I got another I would have to deal with the fact that crossfire isnt as good as sli. Have been having a really hard time choosing a graphics card :-/

Who said Crossfire isn't as good as SLI? :p

Are you talking about microstuttering? AMD said that the fix is coming out sometime in July. Other than that issue, Crossfire tends to scale better than SLI.

And that being said, if you're only gaming on a single monitor, I would just avoid CFX and SLI altogether and stay with a single card.

Yea I was referencing the microstutter issue. Keep in mind im that im really new to pc building so I can only go off of what I read. Well thats great about cfx I didn't know they were fixing that, but im looking more towards the future when the single card isnt enough even for a single monitor. I figured when my card became obsolete I would just slot in another one instead of trashing the old one. Thanks for all your feedback guys its really helpful and I enjoy learning from people with experience.

Back