• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory help with new build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shhhpark

hey guys so i just built a new system with the 4670 i5 haswell wit ha gigbyte z87x ud3h. everything seems to be working fine but my main concern is that I'm using the same memory as my main desktop. In cpuz my main desktop shows 9-9-9-28 2T while my desktop shows 9-9-9-24 i believe but 1T. My main desktop has a wei for memory of i believe 7.7 while my new build shows only a 5.9 rating. They are both the same kingston 1600mhz ram. am I missing something?

What does CPU-Z--> Memory tab show as the DRAM frequency? Better yet, post pic's of CPU-Z open to both the Memory and SPD tabs.

WEI rating says nearly nothing about memory performance. If on both platforms memory is using the same XMP profile and clock then the only explanation can be difference in memory read/copy result performed by windows internal test.
If you run windows test - winsat , then you notice that result is usually the same as memory copy transfers in popular memory benchmarks ( AIDA64, MaxxMem, ... ).
Try to open command prompt ( cmd ) , then type winsat mem , and system will run memory test. The same test run on the other pc and compare.

Other thing can be memory transfer on various platforms and cpu clocks. In latest Intel platforms ( lets say last 3 generations at least ) memory transfers base more on CPU clock than memory itself so while overclocking CPU you also raise memory bandwidth.

WEI rating says nearly nothing about memory performance. If on both platforms memory is using the same XMP profile and clock then the only explanation can be difference in memory read/copy result performed by windows internal test.
If you run windows test - winsat , then you notice that result is usually the same as memory copy transfers in popular memory benchmarks ( AIDA64, MaxxMem, ... ).
Try to open command prompt ( cmd ) , then type winsat mem , and system will run memory test. The same test run on the other pc and compare.

Other thing can be memory transfer on various platforms and cpu clocks. In latest Intel platforms ( lets say last 3 generations at least ) memory transfers base more on CPU clock than memory itself so while overclocking CPU you also raise memory bandwidth.

sorry for the late reply, yup both systems are running the same xmp profiles.

my main rig is with a 980x and x58 board so it's a bit outdated

the new rig which has the lower rating is the new z87x ud3h.
How do I post pics? I'll post some later showing the 2 tabs in cpu-z.

i'll run those tests later when i get a chance and post results

What does CPU-Z--> Memory tab show as the DRAM frequency? Better yet, post pic's of CPU-Z open to both the Memory and SPD tabs.

both are showing a frequency of 800mhz. how do i post pics? ill take a screenshot later

well i ran the test on both machines and the one with the lower wei had a higher mb/s rate so i guess myabe it's because i only have 4gb compared to the 6gb on my other rig. o well lol thanks!

Hard to say but I think that many factors are changing this score. There is also dual channel vs triple channel memory so maybe system base on specification and just set wrong score.

Back