• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uncertain if my PSU can handle the upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Signal

Registered
Well,

I was planning on upgrading my GPU and CPU but I'm uncertain if I need to upgrade my PSU aswell... But my specs are:

GPU: SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 6770 1GB (upgrading to) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025

MOBO: AsRock 970 Extreme4

CPU: Athlon II X4 635 (upgrading to) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

RAM: G.Skill 2x2 4gb (upgrading with 1 more set)

PSU: CORSAIR GS600

HDD: Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM

I was helped previously on upgrading but now I'm only asking again because these are new parts have a bit more of a kick then my last ones I was going to buy did. Back to the matter on hand that I'm concerned about though, I'm just curious if my PSU can handle this all(and for future reference, when do I need to upgrade it?).

One more thing though... I actually have another set of 2x2 RAM by OCZ but I'm not sure if I should bother using them because I've heard so many issues with doing cross brand RAM but the thing is they are both the same speed (DDR3 1333) but they have different voltages. I believe the voltages on one set was 1.70 while the other was 1.65 or 1.60.

Not sure if that motherboard is going to like that CPU... especially with overclocking... The power phases, there are few, and they are not heatsinked...

That PSU will be plenty. At stock that system wont pull more than 350W. I'd worry more about the mobo and that CPU, especially if you are overclocking.

Don't mix and match with different spec'd ram.

There is literally no difference there outside of 100MHz on the clockspeed. Its still an octo-core at 125W. That said, I have to imagine stock will be fine. Just don't overclock on that board, like you say you won't, and all will be fine.

Oh and be sure, before you updage, to flash to the latest bios so that the FX chip is supported.

The whole system is going to be left at stock with no overclocking(I burnt out one PC already with overclocking... Never again). But if that CPU is concerning would this be any better for it? My friend recommended this one at first when I showed him the CPU I linked here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285

P.s: thanks for the quick reply! =D

You're perfectly fine even with overclocking, as long as your PSU is in good working condition.

Ah ok, no overclocking then. Thanks for the help though! I actually had completely forgotten about flashing for the FX chips on this board... That would have been messy without that heads up.

As said before, definitely don't overclock on that motherboard.

Might even want to get some VRM cooling going too.

I was just going to leave it with stock fans... Now I feel like the thing is going to blow up if I don't get new fans.

Back