• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 and AMD FX 8350 OC guide needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batica

Registered
Hello guys, i am new to oc and new member to this site. I heard that this is the best place to get advices about overclocking. Anyway my PC specs are.

MB: Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 8350
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro m2 1000w
GPU: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866 16GB total.
Cooling: Noctua NH C12p SE14

I was looking for a thread and i did not find one with this mb and cpu.
So i would be pleased with 4.5 Ghz because i am on Air (if that is possible) but i just can not make it stable. If anyone ones the same setup and knows what values i need to set in UEFI please write down to me.

PS: I used AMD Auto Tune and i got 4.5Ghz but that is total cr.p because it is stable only in AMD stability test, and when i run Prime 95 or OCCT in like 3 seconds my cores are down...

If i can get 4.5Ghz Prime95 and OCCT stable i would be thrilled.
Thank you and i hope that you understand my English...:shock:
Cheers:thup:

The Sabertooths and even the CHV boards in Rev 1 to Rev 2.0 are almost identical in setup.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733759
Who would help me from the start with overclocking my FX 8350.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.785 Ghz (125W)
Cooling: Corsair H80I
Mobo: SABERTOOTH 990FX bios 1604
Ram : 2x4 Gb Gskill Ares @1866
VGA: XFX Radeon HD 6870
SSD and HDDs: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB; OCZ Vertex 3 60GB
PSU: Cooler Master Real Power M620
Case: Carbide Series® 300R Compact PC Gaming Case
Fans: 3x 120mm, 1x140mm
Monitor HP w2228H

The Sabertooths and even the CHV boards in Rev 1 to Rev 2.0 are almost identical in setup.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733759
Who would help me from the start with overclocking my FX 8350.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.785 Ghz (125W)
Cooling: Corsair H80I
Mobo: SABERTOOTH 990FX bios 1604
Ram : 2x4 Gb Gskill Ares @1866
VGA: XFX Radeon HD 6870
SSD and HDDs: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB; OCZ Vertex 3 60GB
PSU: Cooler Master Real Power M620
Case: Carbide Series® 300R Compact PC Gaming Case
Fans: 3x 120mm, 1x140mm
Monitor HP w2228H

And i did get awesome help, and advice, even with my Language barrier

Oldie

When you are done reading download Prime95 HWMonitor(free version) and CPU-z. run P95 with hwmonitor open and take a snip with windows snipping tool in accessories and post it here. Next post the Cpuz main tab, memory tab and spd tab. This will help us help you.

When you are done reading download Prime95 HWMonitor(free version) and CPU-z. run P95 with hwmonitor open and take a snip with windows snipping tool in accessories and post it here. Next post the Cpuz main tab, memory tab and spd tab. This will help us help you.

Did you mean to snip those values with my current stock settings?

Yes that is exactly what We're looking for . This gives us a really good idea of what's going on with tyour system and settings. Make sure that the ram etc. is all good before we start OC'ing. The biggest thing we need to see is the temps befor we go too far, don't want to break anything.

Yes that is exactly what We're looking for . This gives us a really good idea of what's going on with tyour system and settings. Make sure that the ram etc. is all good before we start OC'ing. The biggest thing we need to see is the temps befor we go too far, don't want to break anything.

Ok well my Ram is fine i dont have any problems with them right now. I mean it is not broken if you are replaying to that :). I bought them new and they are ok from the first time i plug them.

Just to mention i did Prime 95 a few days ago.... And i write down those results.... At my country now is summer when i do the test it was around 32 celzius.

So i have those results writen down so if you want i can type them. Unfortunatly i do not have snip of that.

Ps: I run Prime when temperature was around 20,25 and temps are much lower but that is normal.. So i assuming when winter or fall comes it can be only better. After all now is 32-33 degree celzius outside and summer is warming up so it will be much hotter :)

I wasn't implying the ram was broken just the timings and such should be verified before starting. As for prime a few minutes is good just to get an idea of the temps. The Hwmonitor program also lists voltages which is helpful.

I wasn't implying the ram was broken just the timings and such should be verified before starting. As for prime a few minutes is good just to get an idea of the temps. The Hwmonitor program also lists voltages which is helpful.

Ok i will run Prime again and than i will post results... I can see that hw monitor shows voltages, but my bios and asus thermal radar shows different numbers..And i think that Bios and Asus are more accurate than hw monitor numbers, just to mention that.

It has long been said that a picture is worth a 1,000 words and with that idea in mind we usually ask this of those needing overclocking help. Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier. Establishing a 'baseline' at stock speeds or with only a minor overclock give "big" clues to what to expect when trying to really push a system. ESPECIALLY so in a hot climate with only a smaller air-cooled cpu cooler.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

It has long been said that a picture is worth a 1,000 words and with that idea in mind we usually ask this of those needing overclocking help. Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier. Establishing a 'baseline' at stock speeds or with only a minor overclock give "big" clues to what to expect when trying to really push a system. ESPECIALLY so in a hot climate with only a smaller air-cooled cpu cooler.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Cheers RGone i will do that asap! :)

Ok i will run Prime again and than i will post results... I can see that hw monitor shows voltages, but my bios and asus thermal radar shows different numbers..And i think that Bios and Asus are more accurate than hw monitor numbers, just to mention that.

1. > but my bios and asus thermal radar shows different numbers. << There is no real reason to try and REinvent the wheel. Most of us running big numbers with Asus motherboards do not use any part of Ai Suite from Asus. I tried the latest version on my CHV and was greeted with some issues that hindered my overclock somewhat and certainly gave me a few suspicious moments with strage voltage reports. Now that Ai Suite is completely UNinstalled, things are much happier.

2. > my bios and asus thermal radar shows different numbers. << Your bios is not reading temps in the same way that temps are shown when in windows. Over the last 3 years or so the bios temp reading has become nearly useless overall. Bios termp is of the CPU socket and is shown under a minor load that is imposed by the bios itself. So that temp is only good for initial startup of a newer configuration to see that the Temps are not run away HOT after first build. That is about all the good bios temps are in todays world, the real world of overclocking.

3. NO AMD cpu used today gives a temperature that is accurate until about 45c is reached. This is especially true when referring to the Core/Package temp as displayed by HWMonitor which right now is our standard in the AMD Cpu Forum section. So we know to pay no attention to idle temps except to determine that there is not some issue with poor cpu to cpu cooler contact that causes an idle temp of maybe 45c to show up. That would indicate to most that the cpu cooler to cpu contact is not good or there is a giant issue with not enough air passing thru the case itself and causing a really high idle temp.

Most of this stuff is pretty well discussed in that first link I gave to you. That user went thru a number of steps to get to good overall cooliing and in your hotter temps now with summer approaching, that will be the big hold back on you getting a super fast overclock with that smaller Cpu Air Cooler.
RGone...

Ok so i run Prime 95 for 20 minutes Large FFT and here are the results... Please note that today is extremly hot 34-35 degree celzius...

Prime 95.PNG

cpu.PNG

memory.PNG

spd.PNG

hw monitor.PNG

Looks good but I guess I should have been more specific about prime..We use the blend test to check the ram and IMC. Speaking of ram if you can go in and set the ram speed a nd timings manually. For 1866 you should be at 9-11-9-27-42 and 1.65v

Looks good but I guess I should have been more specific about prime..We use the blend test to check the ram and IMC. Speaking of ram if you can go in and set the ram speed a nd timings manually. For 1866 you should be at 9-11-9-27-42 and 1.65v

Oooh should i run Prime , blend test again? i will try to set ram manualy but i think there will be a problem but i will try.

Last edited:
Just a quick heads up here the CPU Cooler is said to be fair to lower end, just read a review about it Johan! So @ 4.0 and 55c already just keep that in mind my friend. AJ. :shrug: ;)

1, http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/noctua_nh-c12p_se14_review/4

I leave it to you!

I agree that 55 is not so good, but today it was 34-35 degree celzius... A few days ago temperature was 25 degree celzius and my mobo was at 28 degree, cpu socket was 47-48 degree and core was 36-37 degree celzius....etc. So this ambient temp affects alot right now.

Back