• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX6350 With An Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 Overlock Possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OdBalll

Hi all, i am a total beginner at overclocking and was curious if my current setup was viable from an overclocking perspective. :screwy:
I have attempted increasing voltages and other things following youtube tutorials loosely in the past however my PC then stopped booting so heading into BIOS and resetting everything out of fear has been my only attempt!
Im not looking for blistering speeds, just something to up the performance a little if at all viable. The components were asembled by a PC building company 5 years prior and are untouched or disturbed, the PC doesn't tend to run overly warm either. They are as follows:

AMD FX 6350
ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0
CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES PSU
CORSAIR H40 HYDRO SERIES CPU COOLER

I can access the BIOs, could anyone recommend the values I could change the Voltage and Hz? I think it is, to?
Thank you again for your time, Much appreciated.:bday:

That H40 isn't a very good cooler and the FX CPUs really pump out the heat when you start overclocking. I would at a guess think that 4.5 GHz is likely it's max capability at around 1.35-1.4V. There's a link in my signature for overclocking an FX CPU should be a good guide.

Welcome to the Forums Odball!

The FX series processors are great space heaters and draw a heavy load form the VRM's of motherboards. With that said you have a better than average motherboard for overclocking. So that's a great starting point.

Corsair generally makes a good PSU and should be adequate as well.

The Corsair H40 Cooler is going to be your limiting factor for this Overclock. I would venture to say you can achieve a mild overclock with it but will reach your thermal limit relatively quickly. To maximize your overclock you will need a much better high end air cooler, closed loop cooler, or better yet custom water loop. ALL of these cooling options will carry over to your next build so I wouldn't be too concerned about wasting money on an older generation CPU.

EDIT: Johan45 = Ninja

i had a FX 6350 on a similar board (M5A99 FX Pro). I ran it at 4400 MHz normally, occasionally hitting 4500. Never could get it higher than that.

Back