• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Testing memory and frustration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E-matlet

Hello. I've had minor problems with my computer that could be due to overclocking my GPU which I've since removed, but I was advised to test my memory for problems. Yesterday I used MemTest86 (ver 4. if I remember correctly) and I let it check my memory for one pass. The results came out clean, memtest 86 didn't find any errors. Because I wanted to be thorough I decided to leave memtest 86 running overnight, which was 10 hours. During that time it completed a total of 8 passes, and it found no errors. I was almost going to leave my memory testing at that, but looking at different forums people are talking about using HCI's memtest, which is another software that tests memory, but in a different way. Now, I am unsure if I should continue testing with another software to be "absolutely sure". My ram is Kingston 8GB 1333 MHz CL9. What to do?

Last edited:
Well before I'd test the ram for another 10 hours are your original problems still there? Or did putting the GPU at standard clock fix the problem?

Ok...

What problems are you having? Let's start there. We have half the story and giving advice like that tends to not be an efficient way to resolve w/e problem you are having. Spill the beans and we can help point you in a better direction.

Ok...

What problems are you having? Let's start there. We have half the story and giving advice like that tends to not be an efficient way to resolve w/e problem you are having. Spill the beans and we can help point you in a better direction.
Well the problems that I'm having probably don't have anything to do with ram, but rather the GPU. Sometimes my games would freeze momentarily and Windows' aero effects would stop working and things would become more pixelated and my applications such as chrome, windows explorer and all the standard windows would have lower quality visual appearance. I was advised to check my ram just for the heck of it.

And it still happens at stock speeds? Does it happen immediately or after some time? Does it happen only in games or in the desktop as well (if you didn't play games)?

And it still happens at stock speeds? Does it happen immediately or after some time? Does it happen only in games or in the desktop as well (if you didn't play games)?
My GPU is at stock speeds now, but I don't know if it still happens. It's only been a day. And the problems would happen after some time. I remember the problem where windows aero effects stop working has happened both when I've had a game open and when I've just been on the desktop.

Well, report back when/if it happens again. You have done the first step in troubleshooting.

No one diagnostic finds all errors, so try a different test, like Gold Memory or Microsoft's Memory Diagnostics Tool (set it to advanced mode). OTOH don't bother with DocMem from SIMMtester.

No one diagnostic finds all errors, so try a different test, like Gold Memory or Microsoft's Memory Diagnostics Tool (set it to advanced mode). OTOH don't bother with DocMem from SIMMtester.
Thanks for the advice. I might try Microsoft's Memory Diagnostics Tool in extended mode (extended=advanced) overnight. However, I don't seem to be having any memory problems as of now, which backs up the memtest 86 results that my memory is faultless.

Last edited:
Back