• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus z87 Pro or Gigabyte Z87X UDH?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Hey Peps,

I'll be doing some upgrades soon, been reading reviews on both...

Seems both boards are great for OC purposes, which is what I would like to be doing...am I looking for a monster OC? Nope, I only use air cooling and aftermarket HS so I'm not looking for maximum OC. I would like stability, good OC options and so forth which both boards seem to offer. I also like that the Asus comes wifi and bluetooth ready but I do like how Gigabyte doesn't waste USB slots with 2.0's

So which board do you prefer? And more importantly, after checking and comparing UDH3, UDH4 and UDH5, I really didn't see much of a difference except price.

Since I'm looking for a moderate to high OC (scale, low, mod, high, very high) is it even worth to purchase a UDH4 or 5? Perhaps the UDH3 could do just fine?

Lastly, which RAM modules do you guys recommend for either board. I'm not talking about vendor lists, but modules you've tried and tested yourselves.

Thanks in advance.

Do you live by a Microcenter?

If you do, get the i4770K or 4670K with the ASUS Z87-A combo deal (cheaper CPU and $40 off).

If you don't, get the 4770K + UD4H combo from Newegg ($100 off) or 4670K + UD4H combo from Newegg ($80 off).

Really the board you choose doesn't make that much of a difference, as they're all extremely similar for 24/7 OCing. Same with RAM...RAM is RAM. Specific modules don't really matter, just grab the cheapest kit with the specs you want and go.

Do you live by a Microcenter?

If you do, get the i4770K or 4670K with the ASUS Z87-A combo deal (cheaper CPU and $40 off).

If you don't, get the 4770K + UD4H combo from Newegg ($100 off) or 4670K + UD4H combo from Newegg ($80 off).

Really the board you choose doesn't make that much of a difference, as they're all extremely similar for 24/7 OCing. Same with RAM...RAM is RAM. Specific modules don't really matter, just grab the cheapest kit with the specs you want and go.

I live near Canada Computers (our best option) or online Direct Canada, Newegg.ca or PCDirect.ca

Thanks for the tips

can anyone tell me with the gigabyte board ud3h ddr3 2933 oc version, if the dram voltage goes higher than 1.5v? I want to buy 1.6v ram modules...

how high do the dram voltages go in the bios?

thanks.

Back