• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking Phenom II 965 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Witcher69

Hi guys, I need some help with this one. My goal is to hit stable 4 GHz.

Let's start, first you have my rig spec in sig second i already try some OC on my own. I just bumped multiplier to 20 and some voltage to CPU and CPU/NB because this is BE.

As you can see from pictures those are inputs i used in my first test in prime95 and after 7 hours testing it on in-place large fft i got message that prime95 has stopped working. Highest temp during test was 57c. Also it's a summer and outdoor temp goes up to 38c so its pretty hot in room where my pc is because I do not have an air conditioner.

Memory is set to its default values as you can also see on pictures. Also do I need to enable CPU/NB LLC or not?

So can you tell me what I am doing wrong and what to correct to make it stable for atleast 12 hours of testing?

Here some picture from bios and CPU:
4uyq.jpg

xy4h.jpg

4s6z.jpg

Last edited:
First off Witcher welcome to the forum
Things actually look pretty good. one thing we like to see as well is a shot of HWmonitor(free) with P95 running the blend torture test for volts and temps. Also if you haven't already read Dolk's guide for the Phenom II It's very informative and will give you a very good understanding of the different frequencies and how they relate to each other.

I already readed that guide but it was not very clear to me regarding some voltage settings, basically it says very little about BE versions except that with BE you only increase multiplier and voltages which I already done that.

Here is hwmonitor pic:
kdtm.jpg

So your speed ram is maxed out. But you could possibly get more out of your CPU NB clock. That will really improve memory latency and throughput. With my 965 BE I was able to get 2800mhz CPU-NB freq with the cpu running at 3.8ghz around 1.464v. The cpu-nb voltage at 2.8 was 1.3, which should be okay. If you can save your overclock bios settings and profiles it makes it easier to test and tune to hone your CPUNB clock, which will also improve the performance of your CPU's level 3 cache.

But yeah, looks good so far. I know all about that guide. It really needs an update. Much of the information is dated and confusing use as a guide. Guess its slightly better than just shooting in the dark, however.

Yes a can save oc profile. I tried with setting CPU/NB to 1.25v but then my temp is increased nearly to 60c in prime95 so i returned it to 1.2v.

Maybe but if i go down to 2000 then i will lose performance because as much I was able to understand is that higher nb frequency gives much better performace then actual cpu frequency increase.

Can i combine fsb and multiplier but to lower voltage to get stable 4 ghz with max 55c on full load in prime95?

If you are failing P95 at those settings, and you're already maxxed out on your temps (which means you cant add more vcore) then, there's only 2 things to do.... Firstly drop the cpunb back to stock 2000 and try P95 again (probably will still fail as it should make 2400 on stock voltage) if it still fails then you need to back of a notch on the CPU multiplier to 19 then try P95.

Edit: CPU clock comes before every other clock in performance gains :thup:

Can i combine fsb and multiplier but to lower voltage to get stable 4 ghz with max 55c on full load in prime95?

You may be able to do this as sometimes that extra 1 on the multiplier is just a bit too far a stretch for the CPU and you will only need to add 6 to the reference clock to make 4ghz+ and adding just 6 will usually mean no ram drop on the ratio devider as you should be able to get away with that.

Btw have you tried putting you're HT clock on 1600-1800, I usually run phenom ii at around those clocks on HT, it seems happier there

Witcher, one thing that stands out to me is:
As you can see from pictures those are inputs i used in my first test in prime95 and after 7 hours testing it on in-place large fft i got message that prime95 has stopped working
I personally use prime blend torture test for 2 hours. If I can pass it my computer will take anything that I do with it without any issues. That includes running Folding at Home for extended periods of time 24/7. If you made it 7 hours fft you may want to try and see if you can pass 2 hours prime blend. If you do it's stable in my eyes.

As far as combining FSB and Multi yes you can use both. You may be able to do so without using as much Cpu V. Furthermore, yes you will lose performance lowering the NB Freq. The best overclock will be the one where you can increase your NB and Cpu Freq to a point where you can keep the temps in check. You will be better served, for example, with a 3.8 Oc and the NB Freq at 2600 then 4.0 with the NB @ 2k.

I'm with storm-chaser, 3.8 on the cpu clock, up the cpu/nb and ht link.
I run mine 24/7 @3.8 and it's a sweet little rig that way.
55c is about the limit on the package temp as they start to get a little unstable around 55c.
the hyper 212 is a good cooler but needs another fan added.
also these later denebs can handle 1600 ram.

Witcher, one thing that stands out to me is:

I personally use prime blend torture test for 2 hours. If I can pass it my computer will take anything that I do with it without any issues. That includes running Folding at Home for extended periods of time 24/7. If you made it 7 hours fft you may want to try and see if you can pass 2 hours prime blend. If you do it's stable in my eyes.

As far as combining FSB and Multi yes you can use both. You may be able to do so without using as much Cpu V. Furthermore, yes you will lose performance lowering the NB Freq. The best overclock will be the one where you can increase your NB and Cpu Freq to a point where you can keep the temps in check. You will be better served, for example, with a 3.8 Oc and the NB Freq at 2600 then 4.0 with the NB @ 2k.

I completed all those tests for 2 hours, also completed linx test on 25000x20 times. I use this settings from last winter when I only tested it for two hours. I mainly play games and i did not have any problems till last few days.

Problem was that when I play games suddenly game is shutting down and i receive message from Skype that is stopped working and also every other opened program stops responding and only way to make them work again is to restart system. Now maybe this problem has nothing with OC but I also readed that bad OC may cause lots sort of problems on long terms so because of that problem I tested it more then 2 hours to see if OC is stable. Then after 7 hours of testing and getting message that prime95 stopped working has leaded me here to open this thread to see if I done everything right.

The prime torture/blend test will test your Ram,CPU and IMC. If the ram or IMC skip a beat that can cause the problem you describe.

Ok I started torture/blend test 4 hours ago and its still runing. Temps are little high, only for one second temp spiked to 61 and returned to 57c but most of the time its stays on 57-58c. My room temp is 28c (its hot as hell) so i think that this also need to be included in consideration.

rj73.jpg

Yep all looks good witcher. I'd be happy with that. And yes ambient temps play a huge role.

I tried lot of sorts of combination with fsb and multiplier but neither of them was stable, I think reason for that is in memory timing and in that area I am completely lost to what to do so I returned my old settings from pictures and only increased NB voltage from 1.15 to 1.2.

How much is needed to run blend test to say that OC is stable?

Last edited:
You've done plenty withcher. Yes getting a good FSB OC is a bit more work, a lot of trial and error in the end it's worth it tho. In my opinion any way. Just for reference I run 250 fsb, 2500NB and around 1700 on the mem

I believe you but as I said I do not know what to do with those memory timings. If you can guide me step by step I am willing to try.

Problem was that when I play games suddenly game is shutting down and i receive message from Skype that is stopped working and also every other opened program stops responding and only way to make them work again is to restart system. Now maybe this problem has nothing with OC but I also readed that bad OC may cause lots sort of problems on long terms so because of that problem I tested it more then 2 hours to see if OC is stable. Then after 7 hours of testing and getting message that prime95 stopped working has leaded me here to open this thread to see if I done everything right.

I had EXACTLY the same problem and I came to the conclusion that it was the CPU-NB.

Back