• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking Phenom II 965 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The best way to test that theory is with a 3D bench. It should show you how your card performs at different speeds.

Time to digest the data to date.

If you can run 3.8Ghz with an in use Vcore of LESS than 1.5Volts and this allows the temps to go lower than 59c Socket/Cpu temp and lower the Package/Core temp below 61c...then it is likely a no-brainer to run the 3.8Ghz since you say there is no noticeable difference in the games you play whether at 3.8Ghz or 4.0Ghz.
Bobert...

As I said in those games I did not notice differences but in benchmarking there is differences. In linx with 3.8 Ghz and NB 2600 Mhz i get 48,xxxx Gflops but with 4 Ghz andNB 2400 Mhz i get 51,xxxx Gflops.

Regarding those results I am little confused which OC is better.

Maybe my gpu cannot go any better and because of that i didn't see any real difference in games??

If you can run 3.8Ghz with an in use Vcore of LESS than 1.5Volts and this allows the temps to go lower than 59c Socket/Cpu temp and lower the Package/Core temp below 61c...then it is likely a no-brainer to run the 3.8Ghz since you say there is no noticeable difference in the games you play whether at 3.8Ghz or 4.0Ghz.
Bobert...

As I stated in my post maybe I cannot see better performance because of my gpu. I am planning to buy MSI Geforce 760 GTX Twin Frozr OC in upcoming weeks and then I will test OC a little bit more.

As I stated in my post maybe I cannot see better performance because of my gpu. I am planning to buy MSI Geforce 760 GTX Twin Frozr OC in upcoming weeks and then I will test OC a little bit more.

Funny you mentioned that since I personally feel that is my CPU the one that holds back my GPU somewhat. Because when I OC my GPU I hardly see extra FPS's in games.

Funny you mentioned that since I personally feel that is my CPU the one that holds back my GPU somewhat. Because when I OC my GPU I hardly see extra FPS's in games.

I have OC my gpu some time ago and I have 6-9 fps increase from game to game.

For games you will notice the most performance increase, in most cases, with overclocking the GPU.

I've done some testing in 3dmark11 and pcmark7.

With OC on 3.8Ghz and NB frequency on 2600Mhz test results are 2747 score in 3dmark11 and 2980 score in pcmark7.

With OC on 4Ghz and NB frequency on 2400Mhz test results are 2758 score in 3dmark11 and 3062 score in pcmark7.

Looking at those numbers the differences are minimal.

But now you know how your system performs. That is KEY as there are differences from system to system. You have your own personal proof now.
RGone...

I've done some testing in 3dmark11 and pcmark7.

With OC on 3.8Ghz and NB frequency on 2600Mhz test results are 2747 score in 3dmark11 and 2980 score in pcmark7.

With OC on 4Ghz and NB frequency on 2400Mhz test results are 2758 score in 3dmark11 and 3062 score in pcmark7.

Looking at those numbers the differences are minimal.

But now you know how your system performs. That is KEY as there are differences from system to system. You have your own personal proof now.
RGone...

By your opinion which OC would you choose to use?

Hi, it's me again. Few days ago I buyed new mobo sabertooth 990fx r2.0 and tried to boost my last cpu oc a little, 3,8 ghz and nb on 2400mhz . I must say that it was much easier for me to oc my cpu on old mobo.

Main problem now is that I cannot make it stable if I try to raise cpu-nb freq. Oc is stable on 4 ghz and on default 2000 mhz on cpu-nb.

If I set nb freq to 2400 mhz I get error on third core in prime, if I set 2200 mhz then test last a little longer and if I set it to 2600 mhz then test last a much longer with same voltages.

I tried all sort of combination with cpu and cpu-nb voltages and after around six hours testing in prime I get a blue screen. Right now prime test is running for two hours with cpu voltages set to 1.5 and cpu-nb to 1.375 all other voltages are on auto.

Now only thing i did not touch is my memory for which settings are on default, maybe problem lies in timings?

Last edited:
Here you go.

c48h.jpg

hmsg.jpg

03j3.jpg

Last edited:
After 5 and a half hour of testing I got program is stopped working for prime. Now I do not know if this is bad oc or just some problem with prime???

Question: Is this on a fresh OS install? Usually if you change the mobo out and it's not an exact replacement of the board you originally installed your OS on, you'll have issues.

Thats not a problem its 15 min job. What I want to know is what to do with ht freq and nb voltage, to leave it by default or do I need to raise them also if I raise cpu-nb freq and what with memory do I need to leave it by default to 1333 mhz and timings or not?

Memory is set by its default values, only thing I done is raising multiplier to x20, cpu-nb freq to 2600 mhz. I set cpu voltage to 1.5 instantly and raised cpu-nb voltage step by step to see if problem is in cpu-nb voltage. Right now it is set to 1.375 but as I said I got program stoped working for prime after almost 6 hours testing, so now I do not know is ir a bad oc or some bug with prime.

Back