• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The age old question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wrsj77

Registered
Will my OCZ ModXstreme Pro 600w be good enough to power a 7950 and the rest of my components? I was really thinking hard about upgrading from the 7850 I have.

Last edited:
Should be enough, AMD is quite power hungry (CPU) but I doubt with a single GPU 600W can't be enough.

125W CPU
200W GPU
+40W Other parts
----------
365W / 0.8
----------
456,25W

Leaves headroom for overclocking.

Any objections?

Should be enough, AMD is quite power hungry (CPU) but I doubt with a single GPU 600W can't be enough.

125W CPU
200W GPU
+40W Other parts
----------
365W / 0.8
----------
456,25W

Any objections?
Awesome and thanks for the fast response, I was gonna crossfire this 7850 and buy a higher quality psu but the deal on the 7950 will be to hard to resist.

125W CPU
200W GPU
+40W Other parts
----------
365W / 0.8
----------
456,25W

Any objections?
Why / 0.8?

Because of the 80% efficiency. I was under the impression a 600W PSU would draw max. 600W off the wall and would deliver 600W * 0.8

Apparently I was wrong ;)

You were close, they're rated on what they can put out, so it'd be 600 / 0.8 = draw at the wall.

Actually, if you make sure the (measured) input power is always less than the PSU rating, the inherent (in)efficiency gives you margin. With really efficient PSUs, you'll probably want more margin than that method gives you.

Back