• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer wont turn on...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chuggowitz

Hey there, my friend recently built a new rig. He asked me to come over after he had windows installed because he said it wouldn't turn on at all. I went over to take a look and it's behaving a little oddly. It turns on briefly, no longer than half a second, and turns off again. However, it won't turn on again afterwards for a good 3-4 minutes. The powersupply makes a quiet ticking noise, leading me to think the power supply is perhaps DOA. Just wanted some other opinions. The rig has an i5 4570k, 2x4g 1600mhz Corsair vengeance ram, ASROCK Z87 Extreme 3 or 4, and a Corsair HX650 PSU.

You sure the Mobo isn't grounded on a case standoff? Build it on cardboard first? All connectors in the correct places? Disconnect the all case connectors like USB, on/off, reset, and audio connectors and try just the mobo power on button?

Mmm, I'll try that tomorrow when I see him. If all of that doesn't work we're just gonna buy a powersupply at a store and return it if it works and get him to exchange the other one as well.

Would honestly be a lot easier for us to go buy one up at BestBuy/Futureshop and return it after if the PSU is the issue. It's like a 2 minute drive and I work at BestBuy anyways. It would mess up my motherboard wiring if I took out my PSU. We're going to go and grab a PSU here in an hour or two, I'll get back to you with the results.

They don't really have any replacement parts, they only get them when a customer brings in a desktop for repair and they order in the part then. Nor do they have any PSU tester's, believe me, I've asked =_='

Well how are they supposed to diagnose a PSU then... Glad I don't have to use the service...

Yup, swapped out the PSU and it worked perfectly. He's going through the RMA process now. I suggested he either get another Corsair or get a Seasonic. The one we got at bestbuy isn't powerful enough to power the GPU, so that will just go back.

What's the system? My ZT-750 from OCZ is a good unit and currently $60 after MIR from Newegg.

Eh, something like that usually runs a little more on newegg canada or NCIX.

Eh, something like that usually runs a little more on newegg canada or NCIX.

Ah, yeah didn't think about that.

Look at the sticky list in the Power Supplies section. There's a lot of known good units to pick from there.

Back