• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SomeSoldier

Registered
I installed a fresh copy of win 8 yesterday, after about 2 hours of driver installs. I start downloading software. I lock the copy walk away. I come back and login, to my surpire metro and desktop are missing. Windows key doesn't help. Shortcut commands don't work. The only thing that did work was Clt+Alt+Del, to start task manager. From task manager I could use the run command to get into different settings but nothing would bring back the "shell"??? I would assume. I have not found any fixes from searching google.

Did you try running explorer.exe from task manager? That should bring back the GUI. A better question is how did it get this way in the first place. Was all the software and sites "trust worthy"

Did you try running explorer.exe from task manager? That should bring back the GUI. A better question is how did it get this way in the first place. Was all the software and sites "trust worthy"

This exactly. If explorer.exe is running in Task Manager, kill it, and then restart it with the 'run' command. I'd be curious about the authenticity of both the copy of Windows that you installed, as well as the '2 hours' worth of drivers you downloaded. I can't remember the last time I had to download a driver on my own, with the exception of my video card. What software were you downloading after you finished installing drivers?

The copy of Win 8 came from NewEgg, the drivers were downloaded from office Nvidia, EVGA and Corsair for KB/MO. With the drivers I also downloaded and installed Office 2013 from offical site. Rest of the MOBO drivers came from included CD. The 2 hours included download and installation time. I will try to kill the explorer.exe and restart. I have descent Anti virus software that was updated before the download and install of drivers from the internet.

Back