• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delidding a Core2duo E8600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bardock

Hey guys,
So i've been experimenting on delidding some old Intel CPU I had sitting in the storage. First I delidded successfully a Core2duo E7400, now I'm trying to delid an E8600. The problem is that I've succesfully cut through the glue that's holding the IHS in every corner and every side but yet when I twist the IHS to unstuck it from the PCB, it feels like it's still glued onto it :S

Any thoughts?

Thx in advance

Solderd on the die. What i used to do was stick a razorblade in each corner under the IHS overlapping each other (this provides a small amount of pressure) and using a pencil torch to heat slightly and evenly until the IHS pops right off.

Solderd on the die. What i used to do was stick a razorblade in each corner under the IHS overlapping each other (this provides a small amount of pressure) and using a pencil torch to heat slightly and evenly until the IHS pops right off.

alright... so I should heat the area that the dye is for like 5-10 seconds then twist the IHS and it comes off? that should work?

You have to be careful too much heat and the chip will die. An even sweep of heat until it pops off. Use the razor blades placed like i said and the pressure will pop it off the second the solder melts

You have to be careful too much heat and the chip will die. An even sweep of heat until it pops off. Use the razor blades placed like i said and the pressure will pop it off the second the solder melts

ok... And after that how do I clean the solder off the dye?

E8xxx is soldered and generally dies when delidded, either due to too much heat killing it or due to not enough heat allowing the solder to ripe off part of the core.
Leave it on.

Well thats up to you. Understand the risks associated. Ive done many IHS removals over the years and not a single failure.

Well thats up to you. Understand the risks associated. Ive done many IHS removals over the years and not a single failure.

I will give it a shot and yes I understand the risks but I don't rly have anything to lose so ;)

Thx a lot for the info guys. :)

C u around

Ok, I need an opinion here.. I have a pencil torch the Proskit 8sl-2000n.. I haven't used it for like 1 year now or so. I tried to refill it today and when I got the butane can off the refill valve, the valve was losing gas for like 1 minute or 2 and then it stopped. I shaked the torch and it was full. I read in the instructions that the torch needs 10 secs max to fill and then you should give it a few minutes for the gas to stabilize. Now, I haven't light it yet, but is there any chance for my pencil torch to be defective and by lighting it could explose or so?

id say your ok. The one i use for years now necer refill right lol. Seats wrong all the time and sprays butane oll over my hand until i seat it right

Back