• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delidding E8600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bardock

Hi guys,
So, after a few days I finally found some spare time to delidd an old E8600 I had. Everything went ok till now but I have 2 questions:

1) The dye was soldered on the IHS, that means it needed a bit of heating onto the IHS with a pencil torch. In a small area around the dye (on the pcb), I can find small bubbles (sign of the lacquer used over the pcb to have been overheated). Will that cause any problem? The pcb is untact though.

2) How do I remove the solder from the dye and from the IHS? I tried to remove it with my fingernail but it's too damn nasty and it won't come off totally :S

Thx in advance

You can put the IHS plate into a vice and melt the solder off with the torch. I usually scrape it off OR use an IHS plate from a Cpu that wasn't soldered in place of the original.

You won't know about damage until you try running the Cpu.

Traditionally, you'd want to use liquid cooling and put the water block right on the core for the fastest heat dissipation.

You can put the IHS plate into a vice and melt the solder off with the torch. I usually scrape it off OR use an IHS plate from a Cpu that wasn't soldered in place of the original.

You won't know about damage until you try running the Cpu.

Traditionally, you'd want to use liquid cooling and put the water block right on the core for the fastest heat dissipation.

Hey, thx for the fast reply!

If I use a different IHS it won't take off the solder from the dye itself though ;/ How can I scrape it off safely from the dye?

Back