• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

De-lidding Skylake Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Just some background. I have a fairly good 6700k but when I tried it under LN2 it was a total fail IMO. My take from the chatter on the internet is that first, the new tim isn't very good ambient and second, it's terrible cold. So I decided to pop my first Intel. I have documented my steps with pics to hopefully help others. The new Skylake PCB is a lot thinner than previous generations so the vice method is not going to work. That leaves the razor. I have de-lidded AMD in the past that were soldered on so I figured this would be fairly easy and it was. There aren't any obstructions under the IHS like the Haswell so the only thing you have to worry about hitting is the die itself and be careful not to cut into the PCB. I chose the hard back utility razor. it may be a bit thicker than the Gillette but easier on the fingers.

SO here's my victim the usual i7 6700K CPU

6700k.jpg

Here I'm making the first cut. It can be challenging to get the razor to start between the IHS and PCB but always keep it flat to the board. Tipping it can cause damage to the PCB. Just be patient and slowly "rock" the razor, eventually it will start to slip under the IHS. My best advice here is try not to have too much razor under the IHS, work slowly and take your time it's better than buying another CPU. If you happen to chip the die or cut the PCB it's an expensive lesson. I held it quite tightly in the centre between my thumb and fingers. Never mind my ugly thumb nail that was a fan "accident" a few months ago and trust me it looks and feel a lot better than it did.

first cut.jpg

OK so the first stage is complete. I opened the CPU with no "accidents" as far as I could tell. I would like to note that the original TIM felt quite dry and brittle.

open.jpg

This next part took me the longest. Cleaning the old glue off. Don't use a razor. I found my fingernail worked quite well and I also used a small plastic tool I have for laptop/phone work. The idea is to get it as clean as possible for the new glue application. Once I had all the glue removed I cleaned all surfaces with alcohol. FYI This part of the process took me the longest, the cleaner it is the better your new seal is going to be.

clean.jpg

OK we're almost done now. Time for some new Thermal Paste. I'm using Gelid extreme since my end goal is improved sub-ambient performance. Here's a couple shots. Second one is in the board already spread. Ready for final assembly.

newtim.jpg
spread.jpg

I found this next part to be a bit of a challenge. I used Mono Ultra exterior in black to re-glue. This isn't silicone but I'm sure that would work. The challenge was getting onto the IHS evenly and cleanly. I put a gob onto a piece of paper and then used the Gelid applicator to apply the sealer. You really don't need too much.

newseal.jpg

OK we're nearly there. Now carefully place the IHS back onto the PCB that's sitting in the board. You'll need to offset the IHS initially toward the hinge of the latch. When the latch is closed it will shift the IHS slightly as it puts pressure on it.

offset.jpg

OK now when you close the latch put some downward pressure on the IHS to help keep it in place.

done.jpg

OK so the moment we've all been waiting for. The operation was a success and gave me about a 7c improvement in XTU at 5.1 with 1.41v set in BIOS. Temp dropped from 35c to 28c. The odd thing was I actually scored better with the same setting after the de-lid.
I was also able to run XTU at 5.2, 1.45v set in BIOS which previously I couldn't do, the temp hit 34c. The really intriguing part is that I scored better 1780 than I did with LN2 (-180c pot) at 5.3 which was 1766 at 8c. Which makes me wonder/think that the original TIM wasn't cooling the full die properly and possibly some sections were getting too hot.

1780 5.2.JPG

I will update this thread when I get the opportunity to run LN2 in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks, I think it took me about an hour in total. It was quite easy TBH

Sure sounds like the heat was slowing down the chip, hats off to ya buddy nice work.

We'll see in a week or two, see if I can squeeze a day in over the holiday

After dealing with taking the glue off my 4690k twice I just put it back in the socket without any. I have killed a g3258 with a razor so just be careful not to cut anything off the pcb and don't bend the pcb. Skylake has a lot less if anything on top of the pcb, that's why it seems easier but its thinner so... I bent mine (haswell) by applying to much pressure before I had the glue cut through all the way.
I sometimes find I can squeeze a little something out of xtu with temps and lower volts alone while keeping the same clocks, not much but something.

Anyone knows the average temp difference between having the die cap on and direct connection die -> cpu block ? if i can find these for sale i might try them when my chip comes.

Temps may vary depends from chip the same as results after delidding and reusing IHS. Depends from chip difference is +/- 10*C. It also depends from used cooling. For 24/7 use I see no point to delid CPUs. For competitive benchmarking it may help a lot. I assume you can see anything between 10 and 20*C difference under load ... but again, probably not on a regular water or air cooling.

Lowering temps may or may not help in overclocking. On previous Intel series I've seen 10-15*C lower temps after delidding but almost no OC improvements.

So CLU+direct contact for example would drop temps more then CLU+lid+thermal paste/CLU I think is the standard by another ~5c or so on average ? Even on air it would justify spending £7 to get said CPU guard no ?

CLU = Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra

The only time, IMO, its worth it to delid is if you are an active bencher at Hwbot (JOhan) or your chip is already heat limited and NOT voltage limited. If you are already close to the top (say 1.4v or more) there isn't a point to risk it just for a few C less. There is always 'for the heck of it' though. :)

No IHS at all and only good TIM will drop temps but only if core will have perfect contact. It's hard to make it on small cores if you have large cooler.

It's not recommended to use CLU directly on the cooler because it reacts with some metals ( especially aluminum ). So all depends what cooler you have. You may see that many users are putting CLU only between CPU core and IHS but between IHS and cooler they are using high end TIM like Gelid Extreme or something else.

The only time, IMO, its worth it to delid is if you are an active bencher at Hwbot (JOhan) or your chip is already heat limited and NOT voltage limited. If you are already close to the top (say 1.4v or more) there isn't a point to risk it just for a few C less. There is always 'for the heck of it' though. :)
Agreed

I also think that in extreme cooling the CLU doesn't hold up. That's why the TIM is used instead. Q_F even said that some were mixing GC EX with olive oil tp help stop it from cracking

I also think that in extreme cooling the CLU doesn't hold up. That's why the TIM is used instead. Q_F even said that some were mixing GC EX with olive oil tp help stop it from cracking
Now that's interesting, I have plenty of olive oil in the house. :D hehe

Another good reason (and my personal favourite) is to keep the noise down. My setup is dead silent at the moment and I would like to keep it that way, the Noctua hits ~30db at full speed and its ~10db more then I like :) if I can have a decent 4.6ghz-4.7ghz or more OC and keep it on the standard or silent BIOS profiles its 100% worth all the trouble of delliding and getting the CPU guard :)

Id test it first and see. 4.6Ghz and a decent chip. You should be able to keep temps under 90C while stress testing with the fans on standard/silent on any decent cooler.

Though I like my silence as well, I am more risk averse. I'd like the ability to RMA the CPU if it borks on me. :)

Agreed, tests and benchs will be run 1st ofc. Would like to see 1st hand the difference in temps before and after :)

Last edited:
Back