• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

De-lidding Skylake Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah but I checked delivery prices 35 euro to Canada. Have left a message with them to see if that's in stone or not cause that's effin ridiculous.
What's this about slow ??

My original message was "Isn't that the link from Woomak ? Thank you for the store one though :)" and then what you see now, changed it cause it seemed a bit nasty :)

Yep Guess I am a bit slow :screwy:
Didn't even notice that

I will be doing some lapping soon I think...... Can't hurt! I'm going to use the ridiculous 5000 grit then 7000..... then 9000 I hope that will give me a mirror finish so it looks pretty. Hopefully it will make a difference in cooling :clap: :shrug:

I'm going to test it out on another cpu first and if it works I will do my 4690k and heatsink.
lappppppppper.PNG

Maybe if you guys bought a few together you could split shipping so it's cheaper per person overall, maybe. I have know idea if they would combine shipping or how much it would be to distribute them between the people who bought them (assuming you had a few people who wanted to do that). Just a thought.

Anything over 1500-2000 grit is a waste of time. ;)
:thup:

How much of a waste of time? At what grit can I get a nice mirror finish. I already ordered it so I will have it either way. I already figured that 5000 grit was pretty much overkill. I want overkill (or as close to perfect as can be had) but not to just waste my time and energy.

1500-2000 will give you the mirror you desire.
When you lap, change direction often. I find figure 8's work pretty well.
GL, your fingers will hate you. :)

1500-2000 will give you the mirror you desire.
When you lap, change direction often. I find figure 8's work pretty well.
GL, your fingers will hate you. :)

Yeah they will, you shouldn't have to go too long to get the edges flattened out. That's all you really need, as long as your cooler is flat.

Update on the pricing,.
After an E_Mail they told me they can ship it to me for 5 Euro so grand total will be $18 cdn. wE'LL SEE IF THIS THING WORKS THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO.

EDIT: Order is in cost just over $17

Last edited:
That's still ridiculous for a shim.:p

But it has adhesive too. :shrug:
For the time it would take to make one, to me it's worth it especially considering the price of the CPU which is over $600 after tax here.

The verdict is in. It did help, till I got it too cold then I'm back where I was before de-lidding. I ran at 5.6 with max temp 0c then after at 5.3 with 23c temps. Back to square one

http://hwbot.org/submission/3078768_

The cold did something, maybe the pcb/chip shrinks differently that the IHS. All I know is next time this chip's going naked. i did manage a decent vlaidation http://valid.x86.fr/1n1bki
But I know this thing has some room. XTU at 5.6 with 1.6v, definitely has more in it

After a couple more attempts I'm going to do it. Ride this sucker bareback. I think I have it all prepped now just need some time which is short ATM. I do have some pics of the shim and installation is really easy. The tough part is using the socket hold down with a LN2 pot so I made some modifications to it.

Package contents

contents.JPG

Here's the tape I found it easiest to handle leaving part of it on the backing so you could handle it without sticking to you.

tape.JPG

Some finished pics and a test to verify the chip extends above the shim. The description at Aqua said 1/100mm and my eye couldn't tell if it did or didn't

shim on.JPG
in socket.JPG

Next is the Pot. Needed 2mm off two opposing sides and small divots to clear the hold down. The depth is 3 mm and the space between the divots needs to be less than an inch and a quarter. But verify with your own socket if you plan on trying this. Then I made a test to verify it touches the chip. I also have a 3mm thick piece of copper about the size of a quarter to use so I can test with my WB soon. No pic though must have forgot.

POT.JPG

OK here's the spacer

spacer.JPG

Last edited:
Just a bit more follow up. The shim works with the copper spacer and my WB http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-3DMark-2001?p=7920153&viewfull=1#post7920153

I did have some trouble getting it to post initially. Kept getting q-55. Because of all the reports of bent PCBs I loosened my mount and got q-00 so I tightened it a lot more than normal and finally had it post and got to windows. But my temps are worse right now than with the IHS. Not sure if it's a slight height difference or uneven pressure. I use a chilled loop so there's also a neoprene gasket around the base of my block which sometimes needs a bit of time to compress. In the end I have that block tighter than I ever have before which makes me a bit nervous considering the weakness of the chip.

Back