• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basic help for a beginner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrDrummer

Registered
I am ready to begin OCing. It's about time!
I am planning on getting this:

H100i
Gigabyte GTX 770 2gb
Asus Maximus Hero
Maybe G.Skill or Corsair RAM at 1600 or higher
Corsair 400R Case
RM750

I have never tried to OC and I need basic info to get me started. I saw the 4770k OC article and it was great. But what software do I use? How do I monitor temps? Something like "OC for Dummies." What should I NOT do? How do I know the system is unstable?

Anyone have any recommendations/links?

Thanks!

You need to re-post this in Intel CPUs.
Also, I would suggest the Noctua NHD14 over the H100i due to its higher reliability.
And get a GPU with more than 2GB of memory. Already, Battlefield 4 is asking for 3GB or more in its recommended specs. Go with a 3GB or 4GB card. Also, since the game uses AMD Mantle, if its one you're going to be playing, look at an R9 280X or 7970.

OP i am in the same boat as you (beginning to think about OCing my 4770k). So i dont have any helpful links for you but some software you could use would be Prime95 to test your OC stability and max temps with your cooler, and HWinfo64 for monitoring your temps while you run the prime test. Not sure if these are the best route to go but FWIR prime is one of the better cpu testing software,

I'll say it twice so it sinks in-- get a card with more than 2GB of VRAM or you're going to be very sorry very soon. :)

Also, get an NHD14 instead of the H100i. More reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input. I am looking to into 3GB+ cards. If the price is right, I will switch over.

I already ordered the H100i. Too late. Both have ups and downs. Sure, NHD isn't going to leak, but I already made the tough decision.

I'm more concerned about the pump jamming or failing than leaks.

Once I complete the build, what kind of software do I need? How do I monitor temps, perform benchmarks, check for system stability, etc?

No need for a $200 motherboard. Something like the Z87 Extreme 3 or the Z87-K will do all you need.

For stress testing i use prime 95 and intel burn test. Four to six hours of prime blend and a few runs of ibt on maximum.

You will also want stuff like coretemp, hwmonitor, cpuz, if interested in gpu tinkering, gpuz, there are more but i cant think of them right now.

Cool, thanks! Downloaded the programs for later use. I am sure I will have a lot more questions after finalizing my build.

Back