• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build - some OC questions please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bhorv67

Just finished my first build and really happy with the results so far.

After about a month of research on a mid-priced gaming PC, I decided on the following hardware:

Asus Z87-a
i5-4670k
2- ADATA 4g DDR3 1333
WD 1tb 7200
MSI GTX660OC
ThermalTake Nic F3 Cooler
LG 24x DVDr
Corsair TX750
Coolermaster Mid-Tower case
lots of blue fans
Win 7 Ultimate
eSata/USB3/USB2/multi- card slot 2.5" interface (can't remember who makes it)
2 other sata drives from an older PC.

Once I got Windows installed, updated I decided to start some OC tests and see where I could get the 4670k.
From just about everything I've read, keeping the voltage at or below 1.3 seems to be the ticket. However, I can't seem to get my 4670k to go higher than 4.2 at that voltage. Right now, I'm stable at 4.4 running at 1.35. I don't want to raise the voltage any higher, and I'm concerned about it being that high at all. Temps are ok, haven't been any more than 60c according to AiSuite3. I tried backing off the voltage to 1.33, but would BSOD.
In the AItweeker in the Bios, I've made minimal changes. I'm linking the core speeds to 44. All other CPU settings are Auto. Voltage is adaptive, and turbo boost is set to 1.35. I haven't changed any other settings from Auto - including RAM.

Using a few benchmarks, I'm getting frame rates of greater than 50 in Unigine. With Cinebench, OpenGL is 110+ and CPU render score is 700+

So my questions are -

What do you think about the voltage at 1.35?

Should I adjust any of the other bios settings to optimize the OC?

Ultimately, I'll be putting in another 2-4g 1333 mods, but don't have the cash now. Should I pull the 2-4gs I already have and go with 1666's?

Is there any advantage to OC the GPU?
I'm getting surprisingly great frame rates on all the games I play (Latest Batman at max settings, xPlane 64-bit at max, FSX with tons of add-ons running DX10, max settings)

Any other suggestions?

Appreciate the help.

What do you think about the voltage at 1.35?
No more than 1.35v really. Your temperatures.... what are they like when you stress test?

Should I adjust any of the other bios settings to optimize the OC?
I just use a straight up fixed voltage so I do not have to mess with basic math, LOL!

Ultimately, I'll be putting in another 2-4g 1333 mods, but don't have the cash now. Should I pull the 2-4gs I already have and go with 1666's?
I think you are talking about RAM with your 2-4gs 1333? It is GB or (GiB if you are anal retentive, LOL!). As far the ram amount and speeds. Go 2x4GB DDR3 1866 CL9 1.5v.

Is there any advantage to OC the GPU?
I'm getting surprisingly great frame rates on all the games I play (Latest Batman at max settings, xPlane 64-bit at max, FSX with tons of add-ons running DX10, max settings)
Sure, more FPS. Up to you though if you want to do it.

No more than 1.35v really. Your temperatures.... what are they like when you stress test?
I haven't done a stress test as I'm running adaptive voltages and want to be able to have the CPU cool down when not under load. From what I've read, constant voltages are not ideal, although I see there are many schools of thought about this point. Personally, I think the best stress test would be to do what you normally do. Running Prime95 or Aida64 is not what anyone would normally load a PC with, so i don't see the point of testing with that capacity.
I do agree with the 'no more than 1.35v. I'm keeping an eye on temps. Maybe I'll change to a water cooler eventually.

I just use a straight up fixed voltage so I do not have to mess with basic math, LOL!

I think you are talking about RAM with your 2-4gs 1333? It is GB or (GiB if you are anal retentive, LOL!). As far the ram amount and speeds. Go 2x4GB DDR3 1866 CL9 1.5v.

Sure, more FPS. Up to you though if you want to do it.

I haven't done a stress test as I'm running adaptive voltages and want to be able to have the CPU cool down when not under load. From what I've read, constant voltages are not ideal, although I see there are many schools of thought about this point. Personally, I think the best stress test would be to do what you normally do. Running Prime95 or Aida64 is not what anyone would normally load a PC with, so i don't see the point of testing with that capacity.
Fished your reply out of my quote... please reply outside of the other persons' quote so we can easily see it.

Leaving your voltage constant at 1.35v will not hurt the CPU. You will need another CPU before 1.35v kills it.

As far as stress testing goes... that is also your choice but you will find the overwhelming majority of people that are in the know disagree with that sentiment. You should stress test for at least a couple of hours to test your overclock.

Thanks - I'm learning the proper forum procedures. Apologies for being a noob.

Back